Off The Field: Kobe ‘Mamba’, it hurts to think we lost a great person

Jesse Johnson/USA TODAY Sports/TNS
Los Angeles Lakers forward Kobe Bryant (24) hugs Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett (21) before the game at Target Center. Photo by Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports

The loss of Kobe Bryant will definitely be felt by many people around the world for many different reasons.

Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz said after his record was broken by Michael Phelps winning his eighth gold Olympic medal, “records are made to be broken.”

Bryant’s scoring record in the NBA at third overall was taken by Lebron James the night before his death and was something that surprised many people, but the news the following morning was completely unexpected.

People are literally in tears, and it’s certainly justified. He will forever be an icon in Los Angeles due to his career beginning and ending in the same city which is not seen much nowadays.

His name is known worldwide and everyone is mourning while asking themselves the same question: Why did this helicopter have to go down?

How does this world lose someone so great at their craft along with his daughter, Gianna? The daughter who caught her dad’s itch to better her own game while being mentored by one of the best to ever do it.

There are many stories people have of their own to share about Bryant.

Derrick Coleman
“Off The Field” is a column dedicated to sports opinions from various writers within Talon Marks. Stories are published on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Remembering the big trade that took place for the Lakers to acquire Bryant from the Charlotte Hornets for Vlade Divac, which worked out for the Lakers as Bryant says In a 2014 tweet “ They told me they had no use for me and were going to trade me.”

Remembering a school friend showing off the new rookie Kobe Bryant card still having the memory of thinking “damn, one day he’s going to be bigger than Mike.”

The image of him raising his hands at the World Series in 2018 just behind Yasiel Puig will remain in the bank vault forever.

He transcends all of the sporting worlds, not only because he was a great person, but because genuinely one of the many great things about him was his ability to transcend sports and have an impact in the world.

Fans remember watching a video of him asking kids in an Italian backstreet if he could join, speaking Italian, which was a shock.

World-class soccer megastar Neymar paid homage to Bryant by throwing up eight fingers to the camera, putting both hands together after scoring a penalty kick in the Paris Saint Germaine match against Lille.

Receiving tweets from some more superstars of soccer, including Leonel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo among many who expressed their sadness after the word spread.

Even in the pro bowl, the NFL’s all-star game, they paid tribute on the field by doing his famous fade-away jump shot both on TV And the stadium Jumbotron in Jacksonville.

Whenever someone talks about the Lakers, the one person who comes to everyone’s mind is Kobe Bryant.

He was the face of the Lakers, dare I say the face of Basketball. Everyone knew who he was. They related to him and wanted to be like him.

Whenever someone throws a piece of trash or empty can/bottle into a trash can they always say “Kobe” because they always think of him. He’s the most recognizable player in basketball.

Almost everyone in LA or California, in general, knows who he is, not only in basketball but he is also recognized by his passion for helping out so many people.

Winning an Oscar for the short film “Dear Basketball” where he expresses his love and enjoyment of the game taking his story from the beginning of his first time playing the sport toward his 20-year career.

He was an exceptional teacher. He taught his 13-year-old daughter Gianna how to master the sport of basketball.

Gianna wanted to follow her father’s footsteps.

Fair to say that the loss of both of them struck LA hard. People are mourning over their deaths and having vigils for them all over the city, one of them being in Pickford Market with a mural for both father and daughter.

Another was held in Newport Beach with many people laying down flowers and balloons in front of the house where Kobe used to live.

A vigil took place at Mamba Sports Academy, where Kobe and Gianna were headed to the Sunday afternoon of their death. Here, the public brought baby clothes and other memorabilia.

Fans gathered outside of the Staples Center where the Lakers play. Many had their hands in their face while mourning the former basketball player.

Famous landmarks also had their lights colored yellow and purple, paying tribute to Kobe.

There was also another vigil in Lower Merion High School, Pennsylvania where Kobe went to high school.

People outside of the United States have also been making vigils. In Reggio Emilia, Italy the city where Kobe and his family moved to follow his dad’s basketball career.

All over the world, people feel the devastating loss of Kobe and his daughter, Gianna.

Embed from Getty Images

Oscar Torres
Oscar Torres, Co-Arts and Entertainment Editor
Oscar Torres is one of the Co-Arts & Entertainment editors here in Cerritos college. He’s been wanting to study journalism since high school and since then he’s been working hard to continue his goal. He enjoys all things entertainment from manga, film, shows/cartoons, music and video games. Oscar hopes to transfer to CSULA to continue his career in journalism in hope of one day working in a news group that he is passionate about or starting his own brand for all things entertainment.
Luis Lemus
Luis Lemus, Co-Sports Editor
Luis is very big on baseball and tries to attend as many games as he can when there are no classes, of course. When he is not in class or attending a baseball game, he enjoys listening to music, specifically Hip-Hop and Banda. Specifically Banda MS, Banda La Adictiva and Banda El Recodo.