Art festival returns to Norwalk

Creative Commons
Norwalk’s ARTastic festival will return to the city on March 18 with a variety of art activities for the community to participate in. Ranging from scholarship programs to chalk art contests and displaying your work, art enthusiasts of all ages can participate in the fun.

The Norwalk Recreation Center announced that the city’s chalk art contest would return to the community on March 18 after a two-year hiatus along with ARTastic, an award-winning art festival hosted for local artists.

On Feb. 9, the Norwalk Recreation Center posted a flier on Instagram for the return of ARTastic, a free art festival dedicated to displaying local artists’ work, listing activities that would be returning with it.

The 11th annual art festival is said to be accompanied by a chalk art contest, art walk and art competition for local students along with game booths and a book fair.

Live performances by local musicians and groups and vendors selling a variety of food items will also be featured at the family-friendly event.

The day of events will last from 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. at the Cultural Arts Center, 13200 Clarkdale Ave, in Norwalk.

In 2013, the city’s event won an Award of Excellence from the California Park & Recreation Society and was honored at the 2013 California and Pacific Southwest Recreation and Park Training Conference.

After the city was unable to host the festival the past two years due to COVID-19, coordinators are excited to announce the return of the popular community assembly.

Norwalk resident Sonia Cruz said that she intends on taking her children to participate and engage in the art festivities.

“I am excited for this event to return to the community,” Lilia Garcia, Norwalk resident, said, “this event was so beautiful in past years.”

Artists of all ages are invited to vend and/or display their artwork during the event’s art walk from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. Those interested must register at tinyurl.com/artwalk22.

The chalk art contest will also be hosted on the day of the festival from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Chalk art enthusiasts will be eligible to compete in person in different age categories for prizes; 8-13 year olds, 14 and over and professional artists (or those who have sold any work).

A 10-piece set of non-toxic pastels will be provided to all registered participants and only solid forms of chalk will be allowed for use.

Those interested in competing should visit the organization’s Instagram account, @recnorwalk, and submit the requested information (as a form of applying) to [email protected] by March 5.

In the days leading up to the festival, Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District high school and middle school students are also invited to enter an art competition where the top artists will win a $500 scholarship.

Students are invited to submit their art mediums to the Recreation Center from March 2-4. An award ceremony will be held on the day of the art festival at 7:30 p.m. to present winning artwork.

For more information, folk are encouraged to reach out to the Norwalk Recreation Center at (562) 929-5763 during set business hours.

Clarissa Arceo
Clarissa Arceo, Community Editor
Clarissa Arceo is Community Editor for Talon Marks covering community news, Life, and arts & entertainment. She is a Journalism major transferring to a 4-year university in the Fall. Aside from reporting, Arceo enjoys photographing community events, reading contemporary romance and psychological fiction novels, and taking trips to the beach.