Welcome to the backstage of the theatre department

After+the+welcome+meeting%2C+those+who+wanted+to+audition+for+both+of+their+upcoming+plays+The+Miser+and+A+Street+Car+Named+Desire+were+welcome+to+stick+around.+
Susan Romero
After the welcome meeting, those who wanted to audition for both of their upcoming plays The Miser and A Street Car Named Desire were welcome to stick around.
Stage manager for two consecutive years, Sarah Bell (left) and the new stage manager for this fall’s play The Miser, Diane Lozano Ortiz (right) (Susan Romero)

The theater arts faculty and staff hosted a welcome meeting for those interested in becoming a part of a production team on August 16 from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.

This is the first time they held a meeting for students, hoping to inform them a little more about the productions and activities they will have all year long.

Students were introduced to the staff, Jason Dunk, CTE entertainment tech program instructor, Brandt Reiter, voice instructor, Bradley Lock, costume supervisor, Jerry Prell, director of the miser, Holly Sneed, intermediate-acting teacher, Dr. Mas, chair of music department and David Ward, production coordinator.

For those interested in joining their production, Dunk recommended that all students take their courses TH133 and TH134.

Both classes are stage crew courses where students get to learn the ropes of backstage work including building costumes, working on hair and makeup, hanging lights, etc.

Dunk also recommended students ask their counselors to take his two-year CTE tech program that allows students to receive a certification along with their Associate’s degree.

In this pathway, you’ll learn about the relationships you can form with music including working with the audio.

These classes will not only aid students in getting their AA degree but will also increase the chances of being hired as a stage crew due to experience.

The faculty has been working on forming amazing opportunities with PRG, a company that turns creative visions into actual production. They’ve had many students in the past go on to work with them and join the tour as the production team.

The entire team needs help with the productions and a lot of stagehands. However, there must be a strong commitment to running a full position in the show like being there for the technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and every run because it’s not possible otherwise.

Actors will be scheduled Monday through Thursday from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. and everyone in tech will practice during performance weeks so two and a half weeks of 6 p.m. – 11 p.m.

Dunk and went on to introduce the stage manager from the previous shows, Sarah Bell, and the new stage manager who will be managing “The Miser,” Dianne Lozano Ortiz.

Bell, who has been stage manager for two years, said, “It’s a lot of fun, it’s definitely a lot of workload but it’s definitely great because you get to meet a lot of new people.”

“Just make really good connections with your crew,” said Bell, “They can really guide you as to your next classes and what you really want to take to progress here at Cerritos.”

After being an assistant stage manager in the past, Lozano was given the chance to be stage manager for the first time on the upcoming show, “The Miser.”

“I’m pretty excited to do it,” said Lozano, “A little bit nervous but I’m happy to have her with me.”

They both took the TH133 and TH134 courses and genuinely recommend anyone interested in any type of stage production to take those courses too.

“Take crew, backstage is where it’s at,” said Bell.

If any of this sounded appealing, be sure to check out their courses and definitely keep a reminder of their upcoming opening day show for “The Miser” on Friday, Oct. 6.

Susan Romero
Susan Romero, Opinion Editor
Susan Romero is the Opinion Editor for this spring season, spreading the voices of the people in Cerritos College. Outside of the newsroom, she really enjoys reading books, listening to music and spending time with loved ones. Romero plans to transfer to Cal State Fullerton and hopes to work in GQ in the future.