Program for the musically inclined

The Applied Music Program of Cerritos College is based for musically talented students who are looking to major in the music and strengthen their musical abilities. Each year, the program accepts sixty students and has eighteen private instructors ready to teach them.

The programs offers opportunities to the students in it such as the ability branch out into the field of music with benefits like getting to play with professionals and getting to play at school concerts. They also get private lessons.

How does one get into the program?

Before a student jumps on in, there are a couple of prerequisites that must be met in order to apply and get accepted into the program. One must have met an intermediate level of proficiency within a previous music class at Cerritos College and must have time to dedicate to practicing.

Auditioning is a primary step in the program; one can’t enter into the program unless he passes the audition.

Henry Aispuro, a freshman at Cerritos College, has been playing the saxophone for six years and entered the program this semester.

He said the audition process wasn’t that nerve-racking.

Alspuro claimed he “walked in confidently.”

While he is still undecided on his major, he stated that his inspiration for continuing music was “making people happy.”

Gabriel Garcia, a music education major and president of the Music Club, said that his audition two years ago was “not that bad” and that he “walked in a little confident.”

He said he has always wanted to perform and chose music because “there are all kinds of aspects of being a working musician”.

The audition consists of a panel of three judges and a piano accompanist if required.

Each student will have to bring a musical composition ready to perform and complete an exam on the fundamentals of music.

Jason Guardado, a music voice major, has been in the program for two semesters and said the audition process was nerve-racking for him. “When you walk in, all the judges are there in front of you”.

He added that it wasn’t just the judges in front but also a professional pianist playing behind you, which can make the audition more painstaking.

Like most music-oriented students, Guardado also moves through inspiration. He said that he enjoys jazz player Tom Waits.

Once in the program, a student is required to complete at least six hours on campus, attend a weekly recital class and be a part of a bigger musical ensemble class.

The program also offers private one-on-one lessons with experienced musicians and set up projects for all students in the program.

Solmayra Mendez
Solmayra Mendez, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello. My name is Solmayra and this is my second semester being on the talon marks staff. Having taken this class before, I learned a lot about the steps that are taken to bring a newspaper together and really liked enjoyed working with the rest of the writers and editors.