Stress and Relaxation workshop helps students

The Re-Entry Resource program hosted its first workshop of the spring semester on Wednesday, Feb. 5. The workshop was open to all students and covered stress and relaxation techniques.

Maria Cevallos, MSW, showing students how to relax muscles to help with stress management.
Photo Credit: Gustavo Lopez

More than 30 students attended the workshop, which was presented by Maria Cevallos, a psychiatric social worker from the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health. Cevallos has presented for the Re-Entry Resource Program before on topics like Domestice Violence.

Shannon Estrada, the coordinator for the Re-Entry Resource program, chose stress and relaxation as the topic for this workshop because she believes many students don’t know how to deal with stress.

“I thought it would be good for the students,” she said.

Cevallos covered the triggers of stress and how to manage it by  using muscle relaxation techniques.

Professor Michelle Ngo says she found out about the workshop from The Daily Falcon, a service for professors to know what events are going on around campus. Students from her counseling class were in attendance for the workshop for class.

“Many of my students are experiencing stress right now because exams are coming up. I thought this workshop would be an appropriate way for my students to be introduced to stress management,” she said.

Breanna Stone, criminal justice major, attended the workshop. She said it was interesting and helpful to learn the different techniques on how to relieve stress. She says school is stressful and that the workshop helped her.

Ngo says she understands that college can be a stressful time for students and encourages her own students to seek knowledge on stress management.

“Stress management is a very helpful technique for everyday life. I want my students to be very successful to understand what are stressors, or what causes stress and to learn how to manage stress a lot more effectively,” Ngo said.

Ngo encourages students to take advantage of workshops that are available on campus.

“Utilizing the resources that are available on campus can be a successful strategy.”

Estrada has planned more workshops in the future for this semester. Among the topics that will be covered are, Career Exploration, Choosing a Major, Issues of Abuse and Scholarships.

She hopes students look online for workshops offered by the Re-Entry Resource Program that interest them and attend them in the future.

Maria Lopez, Online Editor
Fall 2014 Being Online Editor has it’s moments. Maria Lopez, solemnly swears that she's up to do good. This is her third semester at Talon Marks and second as Online Editor. She enjoys the job because it’s fun, challenging, and a way to let others know what’s going on around campus. In her spare time she loves to read books, volunteer in her community, visit the local library, listen to music, and watch myriad television shows and documentaries. Her hope in life is to get visited by a doctor in a blue box. Feel free to contact Maria in these formats: Follow on Twitter @mlopeztweets Email at [email protected]
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.