Demonstrations galore during Club Info Week

Cerritos College held Club Info day to welcome all students to interact with the featured clubs.

The event was held within a span of two days. The first day was Wednesday, Sept. 3, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Falcon Square and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Social Science Patio. The second day was Thursday, Sept. 4, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Falcon Square as well.

Clubs on campus were given the opportunity to showcase what they had to offer to the students. The clubs each had their own booths set up with what ever they needed to grab the attention of the wandering students.

Some clubs even had demonstrations, such as the Math Club. The representatives of the Math Club would ask students passing by to think of a number, then, using what seemed to be math magic, were able to guess the number that the student was thinking about.

Kevin Ojeda, sociology major, was out on Falcon Square waving a huge rainbow colored flag around, grabbing the attention of students and promoting the Queer Straight Alliance Club. The QSA club was reaching out to new students to gain support and had great success due to the event

“We’re advocates for the L.G.B.T Community and we promote equality and we raise awareness for gay rights. It’s been a really good turn-out thanks to the flags, and all of our members are really friendly so it helps a lot,” Ojeda said.

This event gives the clubs on campus and the students a first-hand experience of what clubs are like and gives the ability for those interested to interact in person.

Ojeda went on to say, ” If we wouldn’t be able to do this, it would be pretty difficult to out-reach. I mean, we can put posters and stuff, but it wouldn’t be as efficient as actually being out here and meeting people physically face-to-face.”

Clubs were handing out candy, and music was playing throughout Falcon Square as students walked by the showcase.

Although clubs would go out of their way to try and interact with students, Liberal Studies major Reanna Salvanera Slusser believes clubs can still do more to interact with students.

“Only about two clubs have tried to interact with me – those being the Christian Students Club and the Math Club,” she said. “People just kind (of) walk by, and if they don’t call out to them, maybe we won’t notice them.

“They’re usually people standing in front of the banners and stuff so we can’t always see what they are. So if they call out to us, it would be was easier.”

The clubs are meant to open doors for students throughout the campus and gives the ability for the students to being networking.

Club Info Day can get students involved with their community. Slusser went on to say that she looks forward to checking out certain clubs that might pertain to her major.

Participating in Club Info Day is a great way to make friends for students who need to break out of their shell.

Biology major and Wilderness Club member Judith Pena aims toward inspiring students by getting people involved with nature.

“We invite the students in to sign up and we further explain what we do. We have a poster with photos of our passed events,” she said. “This is a really good event that Cerritos College holds because it gets students to get out there, try new things and meet new people. If it wasn’t for that, then we would just go to school and home and that’s it.”

Further club information can be found at the Student Activities office or http://bit.ly/WvB3P9.

Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.