Order of the Falcon gets new sorties, Quidditch progress

The Order of the Falcon returned for its second club meeting in the “Chamber of Secrets,” or better known as the Teleconference Center, Monday, Sept. 15.

The meeting started off with new members and students who could not attend last week’s meeting taking the Sorting Hat Quiz, determining what group they would be placed in. A few new members were added to Gryffindor and Slytherin.

So forth began the items on the agenda for the club. Vice President Vanessa Vidal made an announcement about participating in the Coastal Cleanup Day, better known as Beach Cleanup Day, which lands on Saturday, Sept. 20, from 9 a.m. to noon.

Which beach they will go to? It hasn’t been declared yet, but members that volunteer will receive 20 points toward their house group.

The Order of the Falcon will be having a Welcome Feast Monday, Sept. 22, at the Student Center, where it will socialize and discuss who will be the “head of house” amongst each group.

Furthermore, Samantha Vasquez has been appointed for homecoming court (queen); this counts for 75 house points, if hard work and dedication is shown. Campaigning will be on Oct. 1 and Oct. 2, then again on the Oct. 15 and Oct. 16.

Also, for the next club meeting, Order of the Falcon will be discussing float building ideas, and, on Sept. 29, it will have a Wizard Wand Workshop and members will get to create and customize their own wands.

As of this meeting, the house points are: Ravenclaw with 60, Hufflepuff with 15 and Gryffindor and Slytherin being tied at 10 points each.

Quidditch is a wizarding sport, played on broomsticks and the purpose of the game is to score more than your opponent, with each score being worth 10 points, and 30 points if the snitch is caught, which usually ends the game.

It consists of seven players on each team – three chasers, whose job is to score; one keeper, who is like a goalie; two beaters, who knock out other players and one seeker, who has to try and catch the snitch.

“It’s like a mixture of rugby, water polo, soccer and dodgeball … it’s aggressive and very hands-on, but it’s fun,” coach Aldemar Sanchez said.

Due to the shortage of players, once current members and new people join, practice will be from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. every Monday.

Other than that, coach Sanchez added, “I want to sign us up with USQ (United States Quidditch) and do all the stuff (it) offer(s) … UCLA is going to have a tournament in November, December; so, for now, our goal is to build up and practice.”

Nicolette Aguirre
Nicolette Aguirre, Arts Editor
Spring 2015 Hello all, my name is Nicolette and I am the Arts Editor at Talon Marks. This is my first semester as Arts Editor and it's a bit stressing but I'm really looking forward to doing page design. Besides hanging out at the newsroom most of the time, I really enjoy going to shows, mainly tribute shows :D I also enjoy listening to music specially 80's Metal!!! But I also like classic, alternative, and spanish rock. Other than that, my other hobbies are hanging out with friends, laughing, doodling or drawing, writing, watching funny or cool stuff and playing guitar even though I've been sick lagging but trying to get back into it. Any who, that's pretty much it :]