Living Well Club offers free Bibles, prayer

Maria Lopez
Pastor Mike Voytek, Isaac Chavez, a computer science major and president of the Living Well club, Eric Cabarda, linguistic anthropology major at their booth. They were handing out free bibles and Christian literature to students. Photo credit: Maria Lopez

Pastor Mike Voytek was with the Living Well Club, handing out Bibles, both in English and Spanish, and other literature on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at Falcon Square.

“The main purpose was to provide to students, in their free time, a ministry. The club’s focus is on the word of God. We’re basically providing it to people who don’t have a bible,” Voytek said.

He is a pastor at the Rehoboth Reformed church.

He added, “All we ask is that students read them (the books).”

Club President Isaac Chavez said, “This semester was the first semester that we officially started a club. We see it as an extension of what God is doing here, with conversations with students.”

Chavez added that he encourages students to read the Bible and the gospel.

“Before I would go around and make conversation with people, but now, I’ve come to understand the importance of teaching them, not just giving them information and leaving.”

The booth also offered prayers for students who were interested.

The prayers were meant for students as encouragement or comfort, depending on the students’ needs, according to Chavez.

The Living Well Club meets Tuesdays at 11 a.m. in a yet-to-be-announced location.

Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em. 
Maria Lopez
Maria Lopez, Online Editor
Fall 2014 Being Online Editor has it’s moments. Maria Lopez, solemnly swears that she's up to do good. This is her third semester at Talon Marks and second as Online Editor. She enjoys the job because it’s fun, challenging, and a way to let others know what’s going on around campus. In her spare time she loves to read books, volunteer in her community, visit the local library, listen to music, and watch myriad television shows and documentaries. Her hope in life is to get visited by a doctor in a blue box. Feel free to contact Maria in these formats: Follow on Twitter @mlopeztweets Email at [email protected]