Faculty senators propose postponing Spring evaluation cycles

The faculty senate carried the motion for postponing evaluations to Fall 2020 upon mutual agreement between the team and the evaluatee. Tenure process timeline and other concerns were discussed during the special faculty senate meeting held on April 21, 2020.

Spring 2020 evaluations may now have the chance to be rescheduled for Fall 2020 upon mutual agreement between the evaulation team and the evaluatee.

This opportunity was made possible due to a motion carried at the special faculty senate meeting on April 21, which states:

“The evaluation team members and the evaluatee, upon mutual agreement, shall determine whether or not to complete the evaluation process in Spring 2020 or reschedule the evaluation for Fall 2020.”

The resolution was motioned by Timothy Juntilla, an English professor at Cerritos College.

He emphasized the importance of having the union negotiate the specifics of the motion, stating “I think that what we need to do is get people a chance to communicate with one another and talk about the situation.”

“We need to let them know they should be doing this and then the Union needs to negotiate this,” he added.

.The COVID-19 pandemic presented a new challenge for Spring 2020 evaluation cycles, as many faculty members were not prepared to quickly switch to an online-only teaching environment.

Other faculty members were in support of postponing the evaluations.

Adelle Krayer, director of the Cerritos College Dental Hygiene Program, proposed the idea to pause the evaluations altogether and resume them in the fall.

Her main concern was that it would be “unfair to evaluate people in a format that they are just learning to do” as most members are now conducting classes remotely, which is not how they typically would teach.

“I think it’s difficult enough as it is,” Krayer said. “And to worry about now being evaluated in a format that is unfamiliar and probably uncomfortable, it would not be fun.”

April Bracamontes, president of the faculty senate, summarized that based on everyone’s comments, the main focus is what needs to be done this semester and what can can be postponed until the fall semester.

“I think we can all pretty much agree that trying to complete all the evaluations that were in progress as we transitioned is not feasable at this time,” Bracamontes said.

All of the items held to consider in regard to evaluation cycles were:

• Tenure process timeline
  • What would be a fair process?
  • What should not happen?
  • Should we continue with in progress spring evaluations?
  • What are your concerns?
  • Remediation plans

The next faculty senate meeting will be held on April 28 via Zoom.

Kianna Znika, Editor in Chief
Kianna Znika is the current Editor-in-Chief for Talon Marks and previously worked as the News & Community Editor. Her goal is to work for any publication that values nature, mental health, community and the overall wellbeing of others. When she's not working on a news story or sharing her unfiltered opinion with the world, she enjoys reading/writing, hanging out with friends, and taking care of her dog, geckos, and indoor plants.