Falcons snap two game losing streak

Cerritos College baseball team was victorious at home by a score of 10-6 against the visiting Mt. San Jacinto Eagles on Thursday, Feb. 13.

The Falcons came into the game looking to snap a two game losing streak. The Falcons sent right handed pitcher and outfielder, Kyle Carpenter, to the mound.

Carpenter battled through five and two thirds of an inning, giving up four hits and three runs, all unearned and striking out four, but it was enough to pick up his first win of the year.

After the game freshmen pitcher Travis Bonner is humbled in getting a win coming off of back to back losses “It’s a starting point. It’s what we need to work on.”

According to Bonner, the Falcons have a lot of different strengths and weaknesses as well.

It showed early on as the Falcons hit the ball hard and took an early 5-0 lead after only three innings.

Bonner said the Falcons worked for the team’s hot start, “Our pitching, our hitting, we all stepped up in the beginning and it was our strength that showed in the beginning,” he said.

Carpenter threw zeros on the board until the sixth inning when second basemen. Victor Guadalupe committed an error on a routine play at second that sparked a three run rally for the Eagles to narrow the Falcon lead to two.

The Falcons however, would go on to have a five run inning in their half of the sixth and take a commanding 10-3 lead as they batted around the order in the inning. Despite the ten run output by the Falcons, no one player in the lineup had an extra-base hit.

Sophomore outfielder Michael Esparza is proud to see the team in form.

“It was good, it was just good seeing the team doing everything right, seeing them working together doing all the plays,” Esparza said.

Freshmen outfielder, Adrian Ramirez, is content with the win. “It feels great to get back into the swing of things and score some runs and put some hits up there,” he said.

Ramirez thinks the win was huge because he believes it gets the crowd behind the home team in the first of back-to-back home games.

“We need to keep swinging the bats and putting up the runs on the board go Falcons,” he said.

Head baseball coach, Ken Gaylord, was pleased with the game.

“You know, I liked it. I thought Carpenter really threw well and we made an error and we kind of lost it,” Gaylord said.

According to Gaylord, the bullpen was getting behind hitters and that’s not the way to pitch against a team like the Eagles who can hit.

Gaylord believes his players will have to throw right in the game against Oxnard College.

“Well it’s going to be a good one, you know they smoked us on Saturday and we’re throwing Jared and we’ll see what happens,” he said.

Mario Jimenez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Mario. I'm a cool chill person to talk to. You don't believe just come talk to me when you see me.