Falcons trying to salvage season after loss to Pasadena City

Jeff Gonzalez keeping the ball in falcon possession Photo credit: Sean Fulmer

Cerritos nearing desperation as they drop yet another game.

Falcons basketball team suffered a 83-67 loss Friday, Jan.30 to Pasadena City.

The Falcons are left trying to salvage what is left of their season.

The team will try to avoid a sub .500 season record on Wednesday, Feb. 4 against El Camino-Compton Center.

Emotions were running high as sophomore forward Jeff Gonzalez was called for his second technical in the last two weeks.

“I don’t know what transpired there. The official I think got a little sensitive but we got to learn to keep our mouths shut,” Head coach Russ May said.

Following the game Gonzalez said, “It wasn’t warranted.”

Poor shooting ruled the night for the Falcons. On a night where they were outshot 37 percent to 47 percent.

“Poor shot selection, executing, and some of it we just weren’t in the right spots and we were ready to perform,” May admitted.

On the contrary, sophomore guard Micah Winn shot six-of-eleven knocking down four three pointers.

“I know in the first half we didn’t come out with a lot of energy, in practice guys shoot a lot better than that,” Winn proclaimed.

Winn who scored 17 of his game high 20 points in the second half.

“In that second half I knew I had to jump start them so how, I had to just be aggressive and fortunately I was in a good enough rhythm,” Winn said.

With a team ruled by freshmen with ten of the 14 players being freshmen, turnovers has been a problem for Cerritos all year.

“The negative is we just didn’t play with enough effort, intensity, and focus tonight and that was the difference in tonight’s game,” May said following the 13 turnover effort.

Winn admitted that it’s hard going out there as a freshmen knowing that you don’t have a huge number of veteran players on the floor to lead by example.

Freshman Forward Cristian Perez scored his 11 points in only 16 minutes of play.

“I was just trying to be aggressive. I know my time is limited so I just want to make the most of what I can,” Perez stated.

Coach May was proud of Perez’s play as well.

“Cristian has talent it’s hard going out there as a freshmen but when [he] goes out there and makes plays and doesn’t overthink he can do some things,” May claimed.

With the loss, the Falcons would need to win-out in order to salvage a .500 season.

The thoughts and feelings of the team as a whole can now be best described in Winn’s concluding statement, “I just want to make the playoffs.”

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!
Sean Fulmer
Sean Fulmer, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Sean Fulmer . I am from Long Beach Ca and this is my first semester at cerritos college and my first sermester shooting pictures for any publications . I am a photography major but that might be changing to journalism very soon .I like working on cars or skateboarding in my free time, If you can follow me on Instagram or twitter @To0fadedd