Relentless Falcons are ready to challenge Huskies

Taylor Ogata
Kyle Geer (#13) slams down a monster one-handed dunk. Geer had 10 points on the night.

The Cerritos men’s basketball team is on a season-high three-game win streak however, possibly its toughest test stands in the way in 16-2 East LA.

To oppose the Falcons winning streak the Huskies are on a five-game win streak of their own.

With the game looming head coach Russ May feels confident that his team will be not only ready for the task at hand, but will invite the oncoming dispute.

“It’ll be a good challenge, I think our guys are up for it, we had a good week last week and a good practice [Monday, Jan. 19], so you never know,” he explained.

The Huskies team will have the luxury of being at home for the contest where it is 4-0 on the year while the Falcons are 4-1 on the road.

Including two straight wins at Mt. San Antonio Friday Jan. 8 and at Pasadena City Friday, Jan. 15.

The efficiency of the Huskies offense cannot go unnoticed as they average 84.2 points per game and shoot over 50 percent from the field.

On the other hand their opponents score 70.6 points per game and shoot just under 40 percent from the floor.

May said, “Part of it is if you take good shots on offense it limits their offensive possessions.

[East LA is] a very good fast break team so what we want to do is when we get the chance to score we take good shots, we take care of the basketball then defensively we want to make them operate in the half court,”

The Falcons are aware of the task of keeping the Huskies out of its comfort zone of a high scoring game.

Sophomore forward Jamal Watson said, “It’s going to take everyone who steps on the court to be locked in defensively the whole game with consistent intensity.

Especially to start off to take momentum at [the Huskies’ home gymnasium],”

Watson will be looking to continue his dominance as he did the last game in a 72-53 win over Pasadena City.

In the game he tied for a team-high 16 points to accompany his eight rebounds and four blocks.

During the game Watson set season-highs for all three of those categories.

Coach May admitted following the game that he hopes Watson can continue his play every game.

The defensive intensity will not only have to be regulated by the frontcourt of the Falcons as the backcourt will have its hands full with a fully loaded Husky backcourt.

The combo of sophomore guard Iziahiah Sweeny and freshman guard Chandler Redix average almost 25 points between themselves.

For the past two games Cerritos has allowed its’ competition’s star players light it up in the first half only to be shut down in the second half.

May said, “They’re very good players but, I think our guys are up for the challenge. We have some pretty good defensive guards.”

Adding, “When we have played right our defense has been very good, we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

Freshman guard Tyler Payne said, “We’re all just going to have to be locked in and on the same page that way we can contain them from having a breakout game.”

He will not be alone in the constant pressure of guarding the duo. As he will have sophomore guard Jonathan Brown to rely on as well.

Both Sweeny and Redix turn the ball over a combined 4.2 times per game. The Huskies as a whole turn the ball over just under 18 times a game.

Coach May said, “If we play good defense, they’ll turn the ball over for us, hopefully. Our job will be to capitalize on that.”

The Falcons are hoping to counteract any turnovers made by the Huskies by not turning the ball over themselves.

Brown said, “Its really important that we execute and take care of the ball.

We got into trouble this year when we’ve been careless with the ball so it’s vital we take care of the ball and convert on as many opportunities they give us.”

All the talk will cease and the game will be decided Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 7 p.m. at East LA College.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!
Taylor Ogata
Taylor Ogata, Staff Writer
This is my second semester on Talon Marks as well as my second semester at Cerritos College. I am an avid ice hockey player but I like to play other sports too. I also like to visit amusement parks as I am a season pass holder at Knott's Berry Farm and an annual pass holder at Disneyland Resort. Plus, I like to exercise by running, skating, swimming, etc. as well as watch extreme wrestling (WWE) and professional ice hockey (NHL and minor leagues). I have a radio show on WPMD that you can listen to every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. Twitter: @TOgata87 Instagram: itsasmallhockeyworldafterall Snapchat: frozendude714