Cream puffs come to Cerritos

New+Beard+Papas+store+in+Cerritos+located+at+11443+South+St.+Cerritos%2C+CA.+
Emily Maciel
New Beard Papa’s store in Cerritos located at 11443 South St. Cerritos, CA.

Beard Papa’s is a Japanese-based pastry shop that specializes in cream puffs and they are opening up a new location here in the Cerritos Promenade on Jan. 27 at 11 a.m.

With the grand opening coming up soon they have been getting customers excited by offering a chance to receive a free original cream puff and all you have to do is follow the instructions on their social media.

They also mentioned there would be giveaways and prizes on opening day and keep in mind they are a cashless store.

Another highly requested flavor on the menu, the oreo cream puff. (Emily Maciel)

Their slogan is “fresh and natural cream puffs” and that’s what their workers expect you to receive when you choose to buy from their business.

As soon as you walk in the store you are greeted with pleasant aromas and you can see all of the different cream puff shells you can choose from sitting in a glass case.

Shells listed on their website include original, chocolate, green tea, honey butter, almond, Oreo, strawberry and s’mores.

Once you choose the shell you want it is baked on the spot and you can see the workers fill your cream puff with either vanilla, chocolate or green tea filling.

The best-selling flavor is the original cream puff while the Oreo flavor comes in at a close second.

Since the store will barely be opening, the shell and cream filling flavors will be limited but more are to come soon.

Chief Operations Officer of Beard Papa’s USA, Akira Okura, said this business is different from other dessert shops because the customers can see their food being made right in front of them.

He said, “You can see how your food is being prepared and you can see how fresh it is.”

The most popular item on Beard Papa’s menu, the original cream puff. (Emily Maciel)

Okura also made sure to emphasize the fact that Beard Papa’s continues to use real vanilla beans the original cream puff recipe calls for even though the cost of this ingredient has become very expensive.

“Our signature vanilla cream for example has real vanilla bean which is real expensive but you know we have never changed the quantity we have put.”

Although the company stems from Japanese culture, everyone is welcome to come and have a nice treat.

According to Okura, there used to be another location nearby which closed for undisclosed reasons but they saw a lot of success there so they decided to open one in Cerritos again.

Jana Villanueva is an employee at Beard Papa’s who puts her associate’s degrees involving food to use.

She said, “Since I graduated with culinary and baking and pastry I like doing everything here like baking, making custards and other things.”

Villanueva is looking forward to the grand opening to share the delicious desserts the store sells.

“For opening day I’m so excited for the people to try our cream puffs,” said Villanueva. “Everything like each different filling and then each different shell, all the flavors are good.”

Emily Maciel
Emily Maciel, Co-Sports Editor
Emily Maciel is the Co-Sports & Co-Social Media Editor for Talon Marks as she returns for her second semester with the newspaper. She is in her third season of working for the Los Angeles Angels as well as her second season with the Cerritos College baseball team. She plans to transfer to a University for the Fall 2024 semester and work for the MLB one day.