Employers recruit students at Job Fair

Victor Diaz
Bryan Barnes (right), a representative from Inroads, a company that prepares students for internships in the workforce, speaks to computer science major Miguel Acosta (left) about his company. Inroads was one of many employers that were present at Wednesday’s Job Fair to recruit students for employment.

Pete Moye’
News Button

The U.S. army, employers the Los Angeles Police Department, and small and big businesses were among several of the jobs present at the Job Fair on Wednesday at the Cerritos College Library Sidewalk.

The event attracted students and those from the community.

The job fair helped employers promote their businesses to those who attended the job fair.

Brea Saine, business development representative from the Art Institute of California, said, “My role is not really servicing Art Institute students, I am servicing the community offering information about the Art Institute as well as employment opportunities at the Art Institute.”

Community Voter Outreach Representative from the Los Angeles County Registrar Reporter’s Office Carlos Madrigal talked about why he was at the job fair.

“Primarily, we are recruiting poll workers for the presidential primary elections in June, we are recruiting between 25,000-26,000 poll workers.

“We are recruiting a bulk of poll workers as well, which is why we are at the job fair,” he said.

Christian Garcia from the Employment of Development Department said, “We are here to provide service to the individuals.

“We are here to inform them about the employment development programs,” he said.

Garcia added, “We are not necessarily here for hiring, however, we explain the process so that [job seekers] could eventually apply on their own. And when they come to our offices, we can offer them job leads.”

The Employment of Development Department has been part of the job fair for the last three years.

The Career Technical Education Center takes part of the job fair annually, according to Career Technical Education Center Georgi Gastonguay.

“I am here talking to [students] if they need their computer skills upgraded, or whether they want to change careers, Gastonguay said.

Terry Lopez, director of career and assistance services, talked about how the job fair went.

He said, “What I am proud about my staff is that today’s event is fully student coordinated for students.

“We do have more employers than last year, although the job market in the Los Angeles County is a bit rough with the unemployment rate of over 12 percent, but a few more companies are participation this year, which is rewarding for the students.”

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief