Check out Cerritos College clubs

There are multiple clubs available to students that cover a wide range of interests including conventional and un-conventional options such as a “Harry Potter” Club, an Anime Club and a Wilderness Club.

Biomedical major and president of the Wilderness Club David Garcia, feels that his club helps students get in touch with nature.

“Our club helps to get people out. It gets people to go to the mountains, see nature, see things they may not see in the city.”

If the great outdoors aren’t an area of interest, students may find themselves more inclined toward the Literature Club.

Although this club does not have a regularly scheduled meeting place yet, the club’s co-president, English major Josh Craft, feels that this club helps promote the importance of literature in daily life.

“My hope for this club is that everyone can realize that there is a book out there for them,” Craft said.

“Literature is for everyone.”

Those students who have an interest in different cultures can relish in the wide options at Cerritos College.

The International Students Association is a place to meet people from different cultures, all in one place. There are also clubs for specific cultures that offer a hands-on approach to a different way of life.

Roy Cordova, nursing major, is the president of the Karbarkada Club, which focuses on the Filipino culture and meets every Tuesday.

He describes his club in three simple points, “We are here to raise awareness on the Filipino culture, while also helping students with their leadership, mass communication, networking and public speaking skills.

“We also offer the Ate-Kuya-Ading mentorship program to help new students feel more comfortable entering college. Its kinda like a big brother program,” he added.

There are also clubs that focus more on the technical and vocational aspects. The WPMD Broadcasting Club, for example, gives students the chance to learn how to work at a real radio station.

Gildardo “Demo” Aquino, Broadcast major, is the president of the club and invites everyone to come and take a look.

“The club is open to anyone” says Aquino, “People can walk into the station if they have any questions.”

Although, there had been talks about a budget issue, Aquino claimed that the program is stronger now than previous years.

To find out what other clubs are available on campus, there is a list on the Cerritos College website. If you want to know when certain clubs meet, you can search for them in the search engine.

Andrew Casillas
Andrew Casillas, Arts Editor
Hello, my name is Andrew R. Casillas. I’m a staff writer at the current age of 19. I have many hobbies, which I feel make me a somewhat well rounded person. Some of those hobbies are, dancing, singing, playing video games, and mainly song writing and making music. I’m a very personable person and have volunteered at the Presbyterian Hospital & the YMCA of Greater Whittier. After volunteering at the YMCA for a few months I landed a job there as a hip-hop/breakdance instructor which proves that I can dance and am friendly! To speak a little more about myself I am a big believer in integrity and self-discipline which I feel can make me a great writer and staff writer!
Andres Patricio
Andres Patricio, Staff Writer
I am currently a staff writer for the Talon Marks newspaper. I have had a life long desire to join the journalism field and finally took that first step. My primary interests are sports, but I am looking forward to cover various topics.