New senators approved for spring semester

New students were introduced into the government in the first two senate meetings of 2014.

The new group of 11 new senators include Eduardo Aponte, Josephine Diaz, Francis Fernandez, Shawn Tung and two sophomores, Earvin Chavez and Yazmin Martinez.

Some of the students relished the opportunity to be involved with Cerritos College in a more hands on approach.

Francis Fernandez, kinesology major, expressed his enthusiam in taking part in school activities and giving students a voice on how the school is run.

“I’m pretty excited for being senator. I actually get to make a difference in school while I attend school. I’m not to sure what to expect, I’m just really pumped up to see what I can do to make decision and be a voice for students,” Fernandez said.

Josephine Diaz, psychology major, hopes to create more activities for students and sees no reason why senate can’t get things done.

“I am really happy that I am in senate. I want to be more involved in the school. Hopefully we can have more activities out there in (Cerritos College) . We have enough funding and we can make the right decisions,” Diaz said.

Students that are interested in joining the senate have to wait until next to have their chance. Requirements for being in senate include that you have to have a 2.25 grade-point average and have enrolled in a minimum of five units.

Closing out the rest of the senate seats are Melanie Serrano, Elitanya De La Cruz, Lewter Melegrito, Jada Blanshard, and Jessica Wu. Other roles that were appointed were Enrique Hernandez as court justice, Juan Camerena as assistant commissioner of budget and finance and Michelle Barba as assistant commissioner of student outreach.

Enrique Hernandez, civil engineering major, is wants to bring students closer to Cerritos College, “I want to be involved in (Cerritos College), work with students and get everybody involved during election time.”

With the new inductees to the student government, Aldemar Sanchez, chair of the senate, wants involve the Judicial Court more and to do more things for Cerritos College.

“I really want to push more involvement for our court, our court feels like (it’s) not represented, so I want to work with our senate to be more involved with (the court) and with (Cerritos College),” said Sanchez.

Students who haven’t gotten a chance to join a branch of student government for any reason can still be a part of decisions that can be made for Cerritos College.

The ASCC president has the power to select any students to campus committes at any time during the school year. The only requirement is that they should have 2.0 g.p.a and they have to be enrolled in five units with a current semester sticker.

Senate meetings occur every Wednesday 2 p.m. at
BK 111 and 112 located next to the bookstore.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.