First Inter-Club meeting of the year

Covered California representative Diana Gonzalez, spoke about healthcare. Photo credit: Rocio Valdez

The first Cerritos College ASCC Club Council meeting of the semester took place with the attendance of club’s representatives.

The topics of the meeting included Transfer Center events and information, Covered California, Black History Month Events, Graduation petition deadline, Falcon Games 2017 and February’s campus events on Thursday, Jan. 26.

Kadie Gurley, the new commissioner of ICC, was introduced.

“There’s more than taking classes and going home, [so] why not do something extracurricular? Just to meet new people, that’s why I joined clubs at first, but then I learned that there’s more that you [can] do here,” said Gurley.

Transfer Center events and information were discussed by Marvelina Graf, Counselor and Transfer Center Co-Director.

“As long as their goal is to transfer, [students] can meet with us at any time to create an educational plan,” said Graf.

The Transfer Center will be having the first transfer week in the spring with the following:

• Welcome/Open house- Monday, Feb. 6, noon to 2 p.m.
  • Pizza with private universities- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
  • UCLA admissions presentation- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
  • Transfer academy kick-off- Thursday, Feb. 9, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Two overnight tours will also be provided over spring break funded by the foundation office; applications are required for participation.

The two tours consist of going to:

• Northern Calif Universities including UC Berkley, UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz.
  • Arizona Universities

“I tell students,’You really need to get out there and visit the campuses, so you actually know what you’re looking for, whether you know you are going to go there or not, it’s more about really exposing yourself to the environment,’” Graf said.

New campus Psychologist Dr. Hernandez was scheduled to be introduced to the club representatives and talk about his role on campus, but didn’t make an appearance at the meeting.

Covered California representative Diana Gonzalez discussed the program and how students can apply for healthcare.

Student Activities Coordinator Amna Jara reminded everyone that the upcoming deadline to petition for graduation is Tuesday, Feb.21.

The Commencement Ceremony is on Friday May 19 at 6 p.m. in Falcon Stadium.

Kadie Gurley the Commissioner of ICC was excited to reveal this year’s Falcon Games theme Harry Potter and showed a video of 2015’s Falcon Games.

The games festivities will begin Monday, March 6 at 5 p.m. with Academic Decathlon, Physical games the following day at 11 a.m. and the last day Wednesday, March 8 at 11 a.m. ending with a Video Game Tournament.

Gurley said, “For the Falcon Games you need 3 participants and one alternate, so make sure your representatives are really reliable and we hope to have your participation.”

The meeting went over events going on campus for January and February such as Cabinet meetings every Monday at 2 p.m., Court meetings every Tuesday at 11 a.m. and Senate meetings every Wednesday at 2 p.m. all in room BK 111/112.

Club representatives signed in and left the room.

Eliseo Ramos Criminal Justice major said, “I currently started working for WPMD and my supervisor told I have to come this meeting today because I have to represent my club and it’s my first time.”

Raul Avalos Business Administration major, part of the ACC and Accounting club, said about the meeting, “It’s a good place to find good sources you know, I went to one last semester and they were talking about sexual harassment and how to deal with it. […] I find these kind of meetings resourceful because if you need help with something, that’s why we’re all here for to help each other out, that’s what the clubs are for.”

The next ICC meeting takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. in room BK 111/112.

Jocelyn Torralba, Production Manager
Hello there ! My name is Jocelyn Torralba and I am 20 years old. Production Manager in Talon Marks. I was born in Lynwood, California and I graduated from Alliance Collins High School in 2014. I am a junior at Cerritos College, my major is journalism. I hope to transfer to CSU Fullerton next year. Ever since I was a little girl I used to love being the center of attention and always be in in front of the camera. My dream is to become a tv host in one of my favorite celebrity entertainment shows and show the world my passion for broadcasting. 
Rocio Valdez, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Rocio Valdez is currently the Arts and Entertainment Editor for Cerritos College’s Talon Marks. She hopes to transfer to CSU Long Beach in the fall of 2020 to obtain a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. She is interested in going into public relations or working for a news or entertainment outlet.