ASCC kills legislation that would have promoted them on campus

A “media advertising initiative” proposed to the Associated Students of Cerritos College failed to be amended.

Senator Robert Campbell, political science major, proposed the three-paged legislation to senate to “increase ASCC and student body interactivity.”

The legislation had been previously discussed at two other Senate meetings where it was deeply discussed and reported on by Campbell.

The proposed legislation included using free advertising through Talon Marks, Where People Make a Difference, known as WPMD, and the Campus Connections newsletter.

ASCC would use the ads to promote recently passed legislations, upcoming student events and leader spotlights.

WPMD actively reached out to ASCC to offer a “15 minute weekly segment to update students on activities on campus that will affect student life.”

“The responsibilities of ASCC to convey services, program, products and facilities is outlined in its mission statement of the ASCC website.

Campbell said that his main goal with the proposal was to make sure that the students knew what was available to them.

“We are still working on the problem and the problem is that nobody is talking to each other we had earlier presenters reporting that 75 percent of the students do not know the resources we have on campus.”

In the senate meeting, where the final decision was being made, Campbell forwent explaining the legislation and let the proposition go directly to a vote.

ASCC Vice President David Ramirez explained the reason for the legislation failing saying, “It failed because it was rushed and there was not enough time.”

As for the lack of discussion prior to voting Ramirez said, “You can’t just go into senate and say ‘I move to pass this’ without doing your due diligence and talking about it and discussing it.

“No legislations regardless of the legislation should ever pass without discussion. I completely support the senate’s decision to vote down the legislation and wait until there can be a discussion for it to pass. It is a great idea, but democracy should not be rushed,” he expressed.

Campbell explained that he understood the reasons behind the legislation being put down, but that “ultimately this is a piece of legislation that is going to encourage, help and enrich the lack of communication we have right now.”

Campbell said, “In the future we will see what goes on, but in a word I am disappointed.”

Carmelita Islas Mendez
Carmelita Islas Mendez, News Editor