Cerritos College and LA Food Bank reunite to give back

Community members and students came together on Aug. 23 to receive food from Cerritos College and the Los Angeles Food Bank.
Joel Carpio
People gathering in line to receive food from the monthly LA food bank distribution.

The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank and Cerritos College held their monthly food bank distribution.

The food bank and Falcon’s Nest were handing out food to local community members and Cerritos College students.

Participants received a box of pantry items that included meat, a bag of carrots, grapes, oats, a box of frozen yogurt, a bag of frozen chicken, and more.

Students who missed out on the opportunity to get food are strongly recommended to check out Franco’s Market if they need access to food.

The food bank usually serves around 500 families and within those families are about 2,200 people collectively in their households which is the average amount of people per month according to Pamela Sepulveda who is the Falcon’s Nest manager.

“It feels amazing to know that there is a team at this campus of students, staff, and community members who are volunteering their time to make sure we give back,” Sepulveda expressed.

Sepulveda also explained how the Cerritos College leadership has really helped them be able to continue this event for students and community members.

“The Cerritos College leadership has been incredible advocates to make sure that we have the support, funding, and the space to make sure the students have their basic needs met,” Sepulveda uttered.

A truckload of food was brought to parking lot one at Cerritos College which brought in droves of people waiting in long lines under the hot sun.

Sepulveda went on to say that people are really hurting right now with the economy struggling and that these food drives aren’t the only way to get help.

“The economy has really taken a hit on a lot of people,” Sepulveda explained.

“That’s why also in the Falcon’s Nest and at the food bank distribution we have our CalFresh Outreach team talking to people about how to qualify for CalFresh benefits.”

She also added that any community member and student can volunteer in the food bank distribution.

If you are outside of the LA County area no worries, you could be from anywhere as long as you show up the program will provide you with food.

It truly is a wholesome thing to see people giving back to people who are in need of daily food items. With how grocery store prices have been at their highest as of late this is the best thing that the community has to offer.

Cerritos College students can go to the Falcon’s Nest on campus and ask for help or you can email them at [email protected]

Michael Delgado
Michael Delgado, Editor in Chief
Michael Delgado is the Editor in Chief for Talon Marks. Outside of the newsroom, he enjoys listening to Hip Hop and R&B and hopes to work for Fox Sports in the near future.
Joel Carpio
Joel Carpio, Managing Editor
Joel Carpio is the Managing, Co-Sports, & Co-Social Media Editor for Talon Marks, he enjoys playing sports, listening to music, and is an avid fan of the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Kings, and LAFC. He is planning on transferring to San Diego State University and earn his bachelors degree in Journalism. In the future he wants to be a sports broadcaster.