Four game slide over for Falcons soccer against El Camino

The Cerritos College Falcons Men’s Soccer earned an important victory after a four-game winless streak over the El Camino College Warriors, 2-0.

Cerritos opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when midfielder Oscar Enriquez passed the ball to midfielder Dominic Escobar, who then sent a low cross to forward Jose Espinoza who got a touch and sent the ball into the net, giving Cerritos a 1-0 lead.

Cerritos had a chance to extend the lead in the 39th minute when a corner kick from the left side and a header went wide.

Defender Christian Zepeda who was playing his second game as goalie for Cerritos made a save on a hard shot from the right side in the 43rd minute.

The first half ended with the Falcons up 1-0 over the Warriors, with the Falcons in much more in control of the ball and tempo.

In the 2nd half, Cerritos had more possession of the ball and Zepeda still made some crucial saves.

In the 54th minute a low cross from the right side of the Warriors was sent Zepeda’s way, but he was able to get the ball before Danny Muro was able to get a touch.

Three minutes later, a corner kick for El Camino was sent and Jess Chamberlain’s header was saved by Zepeda.

Zepeda’s clearing kick went across the field and forward Nicholas Escalante got the ball and from a difficult angle scored past Warriors goalie Nolan Dean, putting Cerritos out in front, 2-0.

Oscar Enriquez said “We work hard at our finishing at practice and it paid off.”

The game ended with a final score of 2-0 in favor of the Falcons, who now have a record in the South Coast Conference of 5-4-1.

Gabriel Rivera said “Our game plan was to come out and pressure them and stay focused.”

Cerritos will play away on Tuesday against East Los Angeles College.

Abraham Venegas
Abraham Venegas, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 I am person who speaks his mind about things or issues and will not censor himself to anybody. I have been attending Cerritos College for three years after graduating from Downey High School. In my downtime I enjoy reading books about social movements throughout history, bike riding, playing futbol, hanging out with friends among other things. I also enjoy watching and talking boxing and if you want to know about the sport or when is the next "big" fight talk to me not the dimwits on ESPN.