Men’s soccer woes continue; tie with El Camino

Christian Gonzales
Sophomore Cesar Armendariz shoots on goal but his shoot went over the goal. Cerritos had two shots on goal against El Camino College. Photo credit: Christian Gonzales

Cerritos College men’s soccer team see playoff hopes are fading away as they tied El Camino College in a 0-0 match at home on Tuesday, Nov.10.

In the first half of the match El Camino’s offense had most of the possession and created chances, making Cerritos defense work.

El Camino’s offense had a total of fourteen shots in the game but only seven were on target.

The defense didn’t allow a goal in the game but thanks to freshmen goal keeper Eduardo Valdovinos saves in the first half keeping a clean sheet throughout the game.

El Camino’s assistant coach Ever Morotoya said, “I thought it was good I thought our first half was really good for us we created a lot of chances. I’m okay with that, I’m not too okay with the result we should have won the first half. I thought the second half was more of an even game for both teams, but overall it’s just two team struggling this season.”

The Falcons offense woke up in the second half creating chances. Sophomore Cesar Armendariz had an opportunity as he brought the ball down inside the box but hit the ball over the goal.

Cerritos had a total of five shots and only out of those five two were on goal.

Freshman Mark Cruz had one of the two shots on goal. The Falcons moved the ball deep into the Warriors’ box, but the Falcons offense tried to do too much as it could not connect in a final pass or cross, or looked to move into closer range before the play fell apart.

Sophomore Christian Carrillo was frustrated on the field as he was trying to make passes for teammates but couldn’t due to El Camino’s tough defense.

“The first half was slow for both teams but the second half we[the Falcons] came out and we had more control of the game and more chances,

“We have to forget about this game and focus on the next game because every game is a must win so we could make playoffs.” Carrillo said.

Cerritos head coach Benny Artiaga didn’t like how the team came out, “Pretty bad. This is as bad as a performance out of our teams, since 12 or 13 years of coaching here. When you play this bad I got 20 other plays in my head that…even if we got a shot off I have trouble remembering we were that bad,

“I think we were okay playing bad and when you have a performance like that its hard to take very many positives out of it…half your team is out there walking around and they are okay with it and they accept it and you don’t coach that way,” he added.

The Falcons’ next game will be at home against El Camino-Compton Center on Friday, Nov. 13 at 3 p.m.

Christian Gonzales
Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports