Road to fourth win denied

In the end the deciding factor for the women’s basketball game was the turnover caused by the Falcons, as the ball was thrown 29 times either through bad shots, sloppy ball handling and just through the lack of help some of the players were getting when doubled, which led to the team’s 59-42 loss to the Lancers Wednesday, Jan. 29.

From the start of the game Pasadena had the upper hand against Cerritos, as they fell behind 7 points.
Cerritos continued to allow players to drive down the lane for easy baskets. On route to a 10 point lead, the score eventually lead to a 19 point deficit for the Falcons.

The only way to cut into this growing lead was to get more free throw opportinities, but with the little chance that were giving were not capitilzed on.

The three point shots was not fully working as Cerritos connect two of 17 shots that were taken 29% from the field.

Pasadena half court pressure forced some very hard straching passes.

Head coach Karren Welliver looked for a rotation throughout the first half to stop the bleeding as the lead grew to about 15 points around the five minute mark.

At the end of the half pasadena lead the game with a score that read 38-19.

As the second half started, the Falcons began to work their way back. Using a half court trap to force turnovers, the team was able to get to the foul line early, playing more aggressive and improved rebounding.

Ending the game with 44 rebounds to Pasadena’s 32, sophomore forward Nia Lateju lead the team with 8 and sophmore forward Dijonnae Murphy had 6.

As the pressure to win the game mounted insufficient shots were taken sand passes were not completed which generated points on the other side of the floor ending the game at 59-42.

“We’ve got to stay aggressive and just keep fighting a little harder,” Welliver said.

The women’s basketball team will play again Friday, Jan. 31 as the Falcons will take on El Camino-Compton Center at home at 7p.m.

Akeem Ivory
Akeem Ivory, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 My name is Akeem Ivory, this is my first year at Cerritos College but my fourth year in college. I am a double major in Communications and Journalism, I do not have any prior Talon Marks experience but feel that my love of writing and sports can take me a long way in help with the success of Talon Marks. Something personal about my interests is I love to watch, talk, and breathe sports. Also have a huge interests in Sneakers.