What Lola Likes: Salmon fish tacos with mango lime salsa

Lola Ajetunmobi
Salmon fish tacos with mango lime salsa ready to eat. Feb 6, 2021
The new logo for the food column "What Lola Likes"
The new logo for the food column “What Lola Likes” Photo credit: Jennifer Espinoza

This is perhaps one of my favorite dishes to make. It is light, fresh, filling and does not take long. This is a meal suitable for yourself, siblings, children or mates.

If this your first time cooking salmon, that is ok!

It is a simple dish, you do not have to be a professional chef to make this recipe.

Ingredients for the taco ready to be prepped and made.
Ingredients for the taco ready to be prepped and made. Photo credit: Lola Ajetunmobi

Ingredients for the salmon:

• 2 salmon pieces. (I use the frozen salmon from target and defrost them)
  • A pinch of pepper
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1 teaspoon of rosemary
  • White or corn small tortillas
  • honey

Ingredients for the mango salsa:

• 1 whole large mango
  • Half a large avocado
  • Quarter of a whole red onion
  • tablespoon of lime
  • Pinch of salt
  • ¼ cup of cilantro
  • Half a jalapeno

We are going to start by making the mango salsa. When it is finished, we will put it in the refrigerator so we may have time to focus on cooking the salmon.

Start by rinsing your mango, avocado, cilantro and jalapeno for eight seconds each. Rinsing you fruits and vegetables helps rid the food items of harmful bacteria.

Use a cutting board to peel and slice your mango. Cut your mango into small dice and put it in a small bowl.

Then, cut up your avocado, dice a quarter of an onion and transfer them into the bowl with your mango.

Next, chop your cilantro. Try to avoid chopping the stems so they will not be included in the salsa.

Add the salt, black pepper and lime juice into the bowl.

Mix together thoroughly and put in the refrigerator while we get ready to make the salmon.

Preparing the mango lime salsa before mixing it thoroughly together. Afterward it heads to the refrigerator. Feb. 6, 2021.
Preparing the mango lime salsa before mixing it thoroughly together. Afterward it heads to the refrigerator. Feb. 6, 2021. Photo credit: Lola Ajetunmobi

Use a medium non-stick frying pan and put it on the stove over low-medium heat. After it is hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil and let that heat up.

While it is heating up, add the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, rosemary and paprika on one side of the salmon. Put that seasoned side in the pan slowly.

Add the same ingredients to the non-seasoned side and wait three minutes before flipping. Depending on how thick your salmon is, you might need an extra two minutes.

Repeat the same time on the other side. When it is finished, take out the first salmon and add the second one if you did not cook it with the first salmon.

Two Alaska sockeye salmon filets cooking on a medium non-stick pan. Seasoned and heating up on one side of the fish for three minutes. Feb. 6, 2021
Two Alaska sockeye salmon filets cooking on a medium non-stick pan. Seasoned and heating up on one side of the fish for three minutes. Feb. 6, 2021 Photo credit: Lola Ajetunmobi

Place your salmon down on a plate to cool down. If oil is not present in the pan, add a little bit of oil or cooking spray and place your tortillas on it. Quickly warm them up on each side and repeat the same for each tortilla you want.

Take your mango lime salsa out of the refrigerator and place it on the side.

After your salmon has cooled down, rip them up with a fork. On a separate plate, place your tortilla, add a portion of shredded salmon, a drizzle of honey and a spoonful of the mango salsa.

That is how you make salmon taco with mango lime salsa. I hope you enjoyed making and eating this delicious and refreshing meal.

Lola Ajetunmobi
Lola Ajetunmobi, Social Media Editor
Lola Ajetunmobi, sophomore at Cerritos College, is the Social Media Editor for Talon Marks covering community, life, arts & entertainment and opinions. Lola hopes to transfer to Syracuse University in Fall 2021 to double major in journalism and public relations. She enjoys writing, listening to music and exploring different foods.