Studio Ghibli Exhibit in LA

The+Academy+Museum+of+Motion+Pictures+in+Los+Angeles+presents+Hayao+Miyazaki%2C+an+exhibit+dedicated+to+the+works+of+Studio+Ghibli.+
Clarissa Arceo
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles presents Hayao Miyazaki, an exhibit dedicated to the works of Studio Ghibli.

Studio Ghibli fans of all ages can now take a trip with their favorite characters at the Hayao Miyazaki Exhibit dedicated to the works of Studio Ghibli at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles.

The exhibit opened at the end of Sept. and will run through June 2022. Vaccination cards (or a negative COVID-19 test), and a valid state ID are required prior to entering the building.

General admission tickets can be purchased online at https://www.academymuseum.org/en/ for $25, $15 for students with a valid school ID and free if you are a member with the museum.

With general admission tickets, guests are allowed to visit other exhibits featured in the museum and visit the gift store selling unique Studio Ghibli merchandise.

Studio Ghibli is a Japanese animation film studio, founded in 1985 by Hayao Miyazaki and Takahata Isao known for its high quality artistry and unique storytelling.

The films touch on real life topics that are relevant, emotional and heavy on immersive realism.

The museum’s exhibition curator Jessica Niebel and assistant curator J. Raul Guzman organized the collaboration with Studio Ghibli to bring the first North American retrospective.

Hayao Miyazaki, the exhibit, features hundreds of original storyboards, layouts, character designs, backgrounds from Studio Ghibli archives and is thematically assembled into several sections.

Upon arrival, guests enter through a tree-like tunnel into the works of films like My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away as well as character designs and older works by the Studio.

Deeper into the exhibit awaits an immersive sky view experience where guests are invited to lay on a slanted platform and gaze up at the nostalgic sky setting featured in Miyazaki’s films.

A section in the exhibit is dedicated to the creations of settings featured throughout the films such as Howl’s Moving Castle as well as the transformations and connections made between humans, nature and the spiritual world.

The exhibition is accompanied by a number of film screenings throughout your stay, with walls featuring one of Studio Ghibli’s 22 films at nearly every turn.

25-year-old Genesis Herrera said that they were pleased with the exhibit’s portrayal of Hayao Miyazaki’s world and Studio’s production.

“I grew up watching Studio Ghibli films with my little sister,” they said, “So to be able to see how the worlds I imagined myself living in were brought to life, it makes me so happy and nostalgic.”

No form of film or photography is allowed in the actual Miyazaki exhibit to maintain privacy and respect for the Studio.

Guests are, however, invited to take pictures with the art display at the entrance of the exhibit and visit the museum’s sky view balcony for a breathtaking view of the city.

Studio Ghibli fans are encouraged to visit the Hayao Miyzaki exhibit and experience the nostalgia of their favorite films before it closes in June.

Clarissa Arceo, Community Editor
Clarissa Arceo is Community Editor for Talon Marks covering community news, Life, and arts & entertainment. She is a Journalism major transferring to a 4-year university in the Fall. Aside from reporting, Arceo enjoys photographing community events, reading contemporary romance and psychological fiction novels, and taking trips to the beach.