‘The Butler’ serves a snore fest

“The Butler, ” unlike the hype that surrounded it before it’s release date turned out tobe more of an anticlimactic situation than anything else.

The movie itself was too long and the actors even seemed to try and create over-the-top acting reactions.

Lee Daniels’ movie not only offers a view of the difficult past that African-Americans have gone through, but also a closer look at one family whose different ways of thinking causes them to separate and live different lives.

The storyline revolves around a man who lives a greater part of his life serving American presidents in the White House.

The movie feels quite long and lasts a little over two hours.

While the beginning seems to be acted out half heartedly by the actors, it later gets a little better when some key points that changed the way America viewed certain situations get presented.

The all star-studded cast should be enough to get moviegoers into the theatre, and while major American events do unfold during the time period of the movie, they seem to just serve as a backdrop for an even smaller plot between a man and his son and the differences that they represent.

It’s not all bad, however. One does not only come out with a bit more knowledge of American history, but also gets to view heavily emotional scenes that changed the way that life is lived today.

The movie itself deserves two out of four stars.

While historic events are seen in the movie, the misleading previews have one scratching his head when the film turns out to be nothing more than another problem-filled scenario for one specific family.

The movie itself isn’t really worth watching if one is looking for a solid, historic, educational-filled film.

owever, if you have nothing to watch and just want an eyeful of a celebrity-filled screen, then this movie is definitely one to go for.

Solmayra Mendez
Solmayra Mendez, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello. My name is Solmayra and this is my second semester being on the talon marks staff. Having taken this class before, I learned a lot about the steps that are taken to bring a newspaper together and really liked enjoyed working with the rest of the writers and editors.