Plans for new student ID’s, transit passes discussed at Cabinet meeting

Suleyma Castillo presents the Student Life and ASCC Clubs meeting to ASCC cabinet Monday, April 13. Photo credit: Michael Garcia

The possibility for students to have free transportation to and from Cerritos College with a transit pass was once again brought up by the Dean of Student Services Dr. Gilbert Contreras.

Passes would work with the local Metro, Norwalk and Long Beach transit systems to bring students to and from Cerritos College. The target for the launch of the passes is next spring.

Dr. Contreras also talked about new ID cards and a software upgrade for the ID Center.

This will be voted on Wednesday’s senate meeting and if passed would require $23,131 and would work with the company CI Solutions.

He said, “The new ID cards would track data usage and that students would be able to vote on possible designs.”

CI Solutions is a local card and service provider that would be on-site and available for technical assistance.

Commissioner of the Inter-Club Council Suleyma Castillo held a short presentation for the ASCC and Student Life meeting to discuss issues on campus with club leaders and advisors. It will be held April 28 at Fine Arts 65.

She said, “The meeting is geared toward club leaders and advisors but the public is welcomed to join in.”

ASCC Senator Luis Guzman held a presentation for reconstructing the academic calendar to shorten semesters from 18-week to 16-week sessions. A possible winter session could also be possible if legislation for the schedule change does indeed happen.

ASCC President Miles Aiello was pleased of the high voter turnout for this years’ presidential and student trustee elections and congratulated all the candidates that ran.

He also stressed that cabinet meetings are safe space and the public is free to comment and suggest on the agenda as long as they are respectful.

Aiello said, “This is your student government and you should be able to freely express your ideas.”

Safe space guidelines will be announced at future cabinet meetings. Court and Senate will also vote on whether they want to do the same.

Discussion for the posting of the Student Center rules was once again postponed until the next cabinet meeting. The main rules would be for the misuse of tables and chairs, noise level and rules about public display of affection.

Cabinet meetings are held every Monday at 2 p.m at BK 111 which is located east of the bookstore and across from the game room.

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.