Cabinet announces hydration station; commencement volunteers needed

The Hydration Station is located in the Health Science building. Photo credit: Michael Garcia

The second-to-last ASCC Cabinet meeting announced the implementation of the first new hydration station which is located inside the Health Science building.

Volunteers are still needed for Commencement which will be on May 16.

Those interested can contact Amna Jara by e-mail at [email protected]

Vice President Joe Nino voiced his disapproval to cabinet members of last week’s joint ASCC and Board of trustees meeting.

During the meeting, Nino said, “It was our first time meeting and it was good that we actually met. I wasn’t completely happy with the agenda items. We were given notice that we were supposed to make agenda items that we wanted to present.

“We were under the assumption that the board was going to bring items they wanted to present to us. But, there agenda items were requests for us to present.

“I felt like we didn’t capitalize on our opportunity to get information on the board, things we really wanted answers to.”

ASCC President Miles Aiello congratulated all the cabinet members that attended the General Assembly the May 1-3 weekend.

Aiello said that he was able to learn more about parliamentary procedure and how to be more efficient during meetings.

Senator and audience member to today’s meeting Joseph Fierro was able to share more information on the General Assembly.

He said every California community college has delegates that attend the General Assembly and Cerritos’ delegate was Vice President Joe Nino. This year’s motto was “The Power of 2.1” which means the power of the 2.1 million students that are in California’s community colleges.

“Joe Nino did a great job as our delegate. Resolutions are discussed between delegates, and then the resolutions are taken to Congress to be voted on.”

ASCC Cabinet, Court and Senate were represented at the General Assembly which was held at the Ontario Convention Center.

Party Whip Athena Sanchez said the garden that was proposed by the Wilderness Club would come out to approximately $693 it it is passed. The club would like the garden to have raised garden beds.

She also discussed the recently approved upgrade to the ID Center.

“The upgrading of the ID system was finalized for approximately $24,000… The system will be upgraded so that there will be no more stickers and everything will now go by swiping from now on.”

Sanchez said that the staff for the ID Center should be trained over the summer to have the system implemented in the fall semester.

The last cabinet meeting will be held Monday at 2 p.m. at BK 111/112, which is located east of the Bookstore and across from the Game Room.

Michael Garcia, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi I'm Michael. I have been off for two semesters but i decided to come back as a journalism major. I'm interested in technology, hip hop, and video games. I started off as computer science major and even though I love technology I found that programming wasn't for me. I would love to write for a nerd/tech stie in the future. I have a passion for pizza.