5 tips college freshmen need to know

Shaina Talmood
College girl studying on her desk taking and writing notes from her textbook.

1. Do not overwhelm or stress yourself too much:

Yes, there are going to be times in your college tenure when you will find yourself feeling stressed or overwhelmed, but don’t overdo it. Find ways to mitigate your stress level. Do things you enjoy and have fun doing because if you don’t you’ll feel burnt out. Ride a bike, draw, watch sports, it doesn’t matter what you do as long as it takes your mind off of what is stressing you out at the moment. It’s important to take breaks.

2. Step outside of your comfort zone once in a while:

We all like to stay in our secluded little bubbles and continue doing what feels comfortable to us but stepping out of your comfort zone can really open a lot of new doors for you. Join a club or get involved with student government. It’s a chance for you to make new friends and discover a new interest you never knew you had which could lead to you majoring in that newfound interest.

3. Do not procrastinate:

A lot of us like to do things at the last minute and push it off until the day before it’s due, this is one of the worst things you could do. Do your work ahead of time and get it out of the way, you’ll have more time to yourself after and you’ll avoid the feeling of being stressed and rushed having to do your work at the last minute. Your mental health may suffer if you make procrastination a habit.

4. Do not be afraid to ask for help:

Whether you need help in a course because you’re struggling to understand the subject or your mental health isn’t in a good place, ask for help. Almost everyone struggles with one or the other or even both, asking for help is one of the most courageous things you can do. There’s no shame in asking for help because it will only benefit you in the long run.

5. Do not be afraid of being alone:

In college a lot of the time you’re going to find yourself being alone. There is nothing wrong with doing things by yourself. You’ll find that you are more productive and feel more at peace when you do things alone. Whether it’s studying alone or just going out alone, you’ll enjoy just as much as you do when you’re with others.

Joel Carpio
Joel Carpio, Managing Editor
Joel Carpio is the Managing, Co-Sports, & Co-Social Media Editor for Talon Marks, he enjoys playing sports, listening to music, and is an avid fan of the Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, Kings, and LAFC. He is planning on transferring to San Diego State University and earn his bachelors degree in Journalism. In the future he wants to be a sports broadcaster.