Free Speech Zone: How does receiving financial aid affect you?

fafsa6B&W.jpg

Carlos Zamora, physical therapy major

“If it wasn’t because of FAFSA, I wouldn’t come here. My family doesn’t have money and since I just got out of high school FAFSA has helped me come here.”

fafsa5b&W.jpg
Viridiana Cabrerra

Viridiana Cabrera, nursing major

“It helps me being in college because my parents don’t have the income to provide for me. Without the aid it would be harder for me to be in college.”

fafsa2B&W.jpg

Natania Fernoll, biology major

“It doesn’t really affect because my parents make enough to pay for me, but I wish I qualified for it.”

fafsa4B&W.jpg

Luis Antonio Lopez, computer science major

“I do receive FAFSA, but I only get the fee waiver. I still have to pay for the textbooks which it’s still a problem, but still it’s better than not getting anything.”

fafsa3B&W.jpg

Cameron Carter, undecided major

“It does affect me, it would help if anything. It is just a benefit and at the end of the day who wouldn’t want a benefit to help them, especially when you need it.”

fafsa1B&W.jpg

Teena Perea, music major

“It affects me greatly, just because I am a full-time students and I don’t have a job. It helps with school books and all the materials I need being a music major.”

Briana Velarde, Online Editor
Just a journalist in the making. You can call me Bree.  This is my last semester on the newspaper but like everyone else I started as a staff writer. I have also been Social Media, Multimedia, and Arts & Entertainment editor. Currently pursuing a career in journalism. Music, entertainment, and visual stories are my passion. How much time do I spend in the newsroom? All day. Well maybe not all day because I work at a theater and sweep popcorn for a living, but hey these bills aren't going to pay themselves. My ultimate goal to become a digital content producer for a radio station. If all else fails catch me designing for a magazine like Complex or Fader. Since my life revolves online, therefore I am your current Online Editor. Excited to be able to share my content on the online and print version of Talon Marks, read all about it!
Dennis Osorio, Staff Writer
My name is Dennis Osorio aka “Pato” (duck in spanish). I am 20 years old and I’m currently a Cerritos College student pursuing a career on Communication Studies who is interested on working on social media in order to reach the youth. I am a person who loves learning new things from different people and cultures. My interests include socializing with others, meeting new people, trying new foods, spending time with my family and friends, and altruism. My goal is to influence people in the best positive way.