April Catchup: Falcons softball have six wins in 10 games

Sophomore+pitcher+No.+20+Sierra+Gerdts+pitching+in+the+second+game+against+Southwestern+College+in+a+doubleheader+on+April+13%2C+2019+at+Cerritos+College.+Gerdts+pitched+a+total+of+four+innings+and+allowed+five+hits+and+had+one+error.+
Carlos Ruiz
Sophomore pitcher No. 20 Sierra Gerdts pitching in the second game against Southwestern College in a doubleheader on April 13, 2019 at Cerritos College. Gerdts pitched a total of four innings and allowed five hits and had one error.

Since the month of April began the Falcons have been on a steady win-lose streak, the team started off with a 9-1 victory over Compton College and most recently beat Compton College again in a 9-0 shutout on April 18.

Last 10 matches for the Falcons:

• April 2, 9-1 Win vs Compton College
  • April 4, 1-0 Loss vs El Camino College
  • April 6, 6-5 Loss vs Orange Coast College
  • April 9, 7-6 Win vs Los Angeles Harbor College
  • April 11, 13-5 Win vs Long Beach City College
  • April 13, 3-1 Loss vs Southwestern College
  • April 13, 5-2 Win vs Southwestern College
  • April 15, 16-5 Win vs Chaffey College
  • April 16, 3-0 Loss vs Fullerton College
  • April 18, 9-0 Win vs Compton College

The Falcons (18-18 overall) have only a few games left in the season, they will face Santiago Canyon next on April 20, they will follow the home game with the team’s last conference match of the season against El Camino College on April 23 and lastly will face Grossmont College away in a rescheduled match on April 24.

IMG_7948.JPG
Head coach Kodee Murray speaking to her team in a short break before the game against Southwestern College resumed play. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

After the team’s win against Long Beach City College, head coach Kodee Murray said the team was prepared to play hard against their rivals.

Murray said, “The team played together, all the way from our dugout to our players who were actually in the game were all after one in the end and that was to win the game.”

The game against the Vikings which lasted only six innings after the Falcons closed out the bottom of the sixth with 3 more runs extending their five-point lead to eight, finishing the game with a final score of 13-5.

“Our team’s had a little bit of a struggle to play complete seven innings, they fought for it and walked away with what they wanted,” Murray said.

IMG_8021.JPG
Sophomore outfielder No. 5 Victoria Medina hitting the ball into the right field. Medina had one hit and was at bat twice in the game against Southwestern College on April 13, 2019 at Cerritos College. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

Murray ended with, “We’ve had a tough season, lost a couple of players and we’ve battled through that, but the players are still fighting and that’s a good sign.”

The Falcons moved into second place in the South Coast Conference following the win over the Vikings, the played another conference match in which they won 16-5 against Chaffey College on April 15.

With the team’s most recent conference win against Compton College, they still sit in second place, in conference play the team is 12-9 overall.

The team will play its final conference match of the season against the El Camino College Warriors who are first place in the South Coast Conference division.

El Camino College has a 19-2 overall record in conference play, so they will stay leading the division win or lose. If the Falcons defeat the Warriors they will comfortably stay in second place.

Carlos Ruiz
Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.