Falcons soar into playoffs after beating Compton College

Freshman Guard No. 2 Joshua Belvin helps the Falcons defeat Compton College. Cerritos won for the 27th time in Conference Champs on February 19, 2020. Photo credit: Derrick Coleman

Cerritos College men’s basketball team defeated Compton College with a final score of 78-61. The Falcons won their 27 Conference Championship in program history, this being the third in a row.

The Falcons now have an overall record of 19-8 and a league record of 8-1.

Forward Jaishon Forte, No.11, scored 15 points while dominating the glass, grabbing 23 rebounds and three assists during his 31 minutes in Wednesday’s game.

Forte explains what lead to him getting 23 rebounds as “just coming out with a little more energy than my last game. I was a little bit sluggish in the beginning.”

The Falcons had an overall rebound total of 55 during the game.

One of Forte’s big shots was a put back layup in the second half which put the Falcons up 41-26.

Forte’s teammate, guard No.2, Joshua “Juice” Belvin had a stat line of 16 points and five steals in 26 minutes coming off the bench in Wednesday’s game.

The Falcons bench (non-starter players) outscored Compton’s bench by 22 points.

Belvin wants Falcons fans to know “We had a lot of revenge because last time Compton beat us by 30 [points] at their house and [we] smacked them in the mouth.”

Belvin scored in transition and got fouled, making the free throw to help the Falcons catch up to Compton.

Early in the first half, Falcons found themselves struggling against Compton.

In the game there was only one lead change but the game was tied five times.

The Falcons were looking forward to working on their offensive transitions otherwise known as fast breaks.

The Falcons scored 10 fast break points in the game.

No.20 forward, Dorian Harris, scored 14 points grabbing seven rebounds and going five for five from the free throw line in 23 minutes.

Harris’ biggest shot came in the first half when he scored a put back buzzer beater to put the Falcons up 43-26 at halftime.

The Falcons’ biggest lead in the game came at the second half, being up by 23 points with four minutes and 12 seconds left in the game.

With the big win over Compton, Coach Russell May and the players are now eyeing the playoff game against Ventura College.

Fans should keep an eye on sophomore guard No.1, Jalen Washington who scored 11 points ,grabbed four rebounds, three assist and went seven for seven at the free throw line.

“A lot of these freshman are growing up before our eyes; and I think they are really bonding together, and closely trusting each other and we are a tough team to beat,” May said.

With the loss to Southwest on Feb. 21, the Falcons men’s basketball team has to share the Conference Championship title with Southwest College.

The Falcons will enter the first round of playoffs with a home game on Friday Feb. 28, where they will be up against Ventura College with tip-off at 7 p.m.

Robtrell Scott
Robtrell Scott, Staff Writer