Cerritos baseball falls behind early versus Santa Ana

The+Dons+take+to+the+field+and+celebrate+the+11-4+win+against+the+Falcons+at+Cerritos.+Santa+Ana+lines+up+to+give+high+fives+all+around+their+teammates+on+Feb.+8%2C+2022.+
Roman Acosta
The Dons take to the field and celebrate the 11-4 win against the Falcons at Cerritos. Santa Ana lines up to give high fives all around their teammates on Feb. 8, 2022.

On Tuesday, Cerritos College baseball fell behind early versus Santa Ana College and was never able to make up the substantial deficit in the 13-4 loss.

Falcons’ starting pitcher, Joseph Cossette, allowed three runs in the first inning, despite striking out three batters in the inning.

Santa Ana’s Cedrick Perez drove in the Dons’ first run of the game on a single to right field, and two runs followed on consecutive wild pitches to make it 3-0.

Catcher, No. 38, Daniel Castellanos at the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning against Santa Ana. His hit leads to a single as he collects an RBI against the Dons on Feb. 8, 2022.
Catcher, No. 38, Daniel Castellanos at the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning against Santa Ana. His hit leads to a single as he collects an RBI against the Dons on Feb. 8, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

Cerritos’ began to chip away at the Dons’ lead in the bottom of the third inning with the help from lead-off hitter Julian Francois.

The freshman singled up the middle to gets things started for the Falcons, advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and then scored on Sawyer Chesley’s timely two-out RBI-double.

Francois finished the game going 3-for-4 at the plate and scored twice.

Joseph Cossette throws pitch in first inning versus Santa Ana. Feb.8, 2022

Santa Ana broke the game open in the fourth inning to go ahead 7-1. The Dons’ were able string hits together against the Falcons’ Cossette, who had six strikeouts before being replaced on the mound by Jael Leal after 3.2 innings of work.

Cerritos’ used five different pitchers in the game following Cossette’s exit.

“I just saw it as an opportunity to get some pitchers some innings,” Cerritos’ head coach Vic Butler said after the game. “There’s some guys that have been sitting down there in the bullpen waiting for their turn.”

Freshman, shortstop, No. 15, Andy Vega hits a two run homer as he collects an RBI in the bottom of the seventh inning. Julian Francois and Vega puts the Falcons on the board 3-11 against the Dons on Feb. 8, 2022.
Freshman, shortstop, No. 15, Andy Vega hits a two run homer as he collects an RBI in the bottom of the seventh inning. Julian Francois and Vega puts the Falcons on the board 3-11 against the Dons on Feb. 8, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

Santa Ana’s Christian Thompson drove in two of the four runs in the fourth inning on his RbI-double over the center fielder’s head. Thompson finished the game going 2-for-2, with three walks, three runs batted in, and two runs scored.

The Cerritos offense was held down for the most part by the opposing starting pitcher, Brady Ashworth. The right-hander for the Dons’ allowed one run on five hits over six innings, with two walks, and six strikeouts.

Santa Ana scored two more times in the top of the fifth inning on another Thompson single, and then Thomas Williams followed with an RBI-single of his own off pitcher Noah Ortega.

Freshman, RHP, No. 33, Noah Ortega relieves RHP Jael Leal to start the top of the fifth inning for the Falcons. Ortega throws a strike to the Dons batter at the plate on Feb. 8, 2022.
Freshman, RHP, No. 33, Noah Ortega relieves RHP Jael Leal to start the top of the fifth inning for the Falcons. Ortega throws a strike to the Dons batter at the plate on Feb. 8, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

The Dons’ took a commanding 11-1 lead in the seventh inning with some help from the Falcons’ defense. Thompson scored on a wild pitch, and another run scored on a fielding error two batters later.

“We’re trying to get prepared for conference play,” Butler said. “My players do understand the things the coaches are trying to preach to them. If you don’t prepare yourselves at practice, if you don’t throw strikes, if you don’t take care of the baseball game the score can get out of hand.”

The Falcons’ showed signs of life in the bottom half of the seventh inning. Shortstop Andy Vega hit a two-run home run over the left field wall to give the Falcons’ some hope for a potential comeback.

Freshman, first basemen, No. 44, Sawyer Chesley stands on the plate prepared to make the catch to get the runner out at first. He started the game but would later be taken out in the seventh inning against Santa Ana on Feb. 8, 2022.
Freshman, first basemen, No. 44, Sawyer Chesley stands on the plate prepared to make the catch to get the runner out at first. He started the game but would later be taken out in the seventh inning against Santa Ana on Feb. 8, 2022. Photo credit: Roman Acosta

Cerritos scored once more a few batters later when Daniel Castellanos reached on a fielding error and Moses Dokes scored to make it 11-4.

Santa Ana’s final two runs came in the eighth inning on Evan Leibl’s RBI-triple and Cesar Correa’s RBI-single to make it the 13-4 final score.

Michael Cody Stephenson
Michael Cody Stephenson, Staff Writer
Michael Cody Stephenson is a staff writer for Talon Marks covering sports, Arts & Entertainment, Life, and opinion. Michael enjoys traveling, attending sporting events, listening to podcasts, hiking, and spending time with friends and family. He hopes to transfer to a four-year university in the Fall and one day pursue a career in the sports industry.
Roman Acosta
Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.