Preview: Cerritos Baseball looks to strike gold

Jael-Leal-pitching
Roman Acosta
Freshman, RHP, No. 9, Jael Leal in the third inning throwing a pitch against the Lasers on Thursday, Feb. 3. Leal would close out the inning not giving up any runs against Irvine Valley.

The Cerritos baseball team had a tough year in the 2022 season when they had a 13-26-1 record and a record of 8-16 during conference games.

Coach Buttler, who is the Men’s Baseball head coach for this upcoming season, said that his goals were to continue to develop and focus more on winning.

“Last season, it’s a running joke between my coaching staff and myself,” Buttler said, “It took us three years to play one full season.”

The baseball team had half of their 2020 season and the full 2021 season shut down, due to COVID-19 and Butter talked about how much he’s learned throughout those years.

One thing the baseball coach said he wanted was to cut the roster from 60 to 37 players because he wants to have that continuity with his team, allowing him to give more reps to players and more team chemistry.

When asked about how he feels about 13 players on the baseball team transferring to a four-year university, coach Buttler talked about the importance of doing well in the classroom and on the field.

“That’s our goal is to develop these student-athletes in the classroom and then on the baseball field,” Buttler said, “We preach academics over athletics.”

Coach Buttler stressed how important the coaching staff was and how they were one of the better coaching staff, “It starts from the top and works its way down.”

The men’s baseball coach also talked about the impact his playing career had on his coaching, “My playing experience has allowed me to put myself in different types of baseball scenarios.”

The baseball head coach played baseball from El Camino College, all the way to playing on a AAA team.

“It allows us (coaching staff who also played in the big leagues) to put these student-athletes in real-life situations and to prepare them for not only physically but mentally for the grind,” coach Buttler said.

As for what Coach Buttler wants for the future of the baseball team, he predicts that Cerritos will be one of the top programs in the country and junior college baseball.

“I just like to remind myself of the culture of Cerritos,” Coach Buttler said, “I thought to myself, one day, I want to have a plaque here at Cerritos and I want to leave my own legacy here.”

Cerritos men’s baseball looks to rebound from the 13-26-1 season on Oct. 11 when they play against Santa Ana at home, which begins at 1 p.m.

Samuel Chacko
Samuel Chacko, Editor in Chief
Samuel Chacko is the Editor-in-Chief for Talon marks covering sports, politics, news and opinion. Sam enjoys playing video games, watching sports and music. Samuel is hoping to transfer to Cal State Long Beach in 2023 and work for a prestigious Journalism outlet one day. Contact [email protected] to meet with him and for news tips.
Roman Acosta
Roman Acosta, Sports Editor
Roman Acosta is the Sports Editor for Talon Marks, This will be Roman’s second semester on the Talon Marks Staff. Roman is also an assistant football coach at John Glenn High School (Norwalk CA) as well as a sports photographer who is a Journalism Major. Roman is a fan of Marvel/DC movies and comics. Roman enjoys watching Baseball, Football and other highly competitive sports. Roman would be interested in becoming a sports photographer or journalist in his future.