Stifling defense earns women’s basketball win

LA Harbor scored seven points in the first 6:04 of the game Wednesday, Feb. 10.

For the remaining 33:56 it scored 19 points.

“I thought we just stopped fouling on the contest. We made them shoot over us and made them make contested shots, ” head coach Trisha Raniewicz said.

The Seahawks never scored more than nine points in a quarter while the Falcons never scored less than 19 points.

Ultimately, turnovers led to the demise of LA Harbor.

“We were happy that our bench players got to play but as a team we need to think about the bigger [picture]. Us against LA Harbor wasn’t really much competition but we still have playoffs and LBCC that we still have to play for conference,” Lomax explained.

As a team the Seahawks average almost 16 turnovers a game and have committed over 20 turnovers in 11 games this season.

Speaking of Lomax her aggressive play continued this game as she scored four points, seven rebounds and managed to snag three steals.

The game was so lop-sided it allowed for more of the reserves to get a chance at extensive playing time.

One of those reserves was Teresa Wang who scored nine points on three three-pointers in the final minutes of the game.

“It just working hard, running the plays and doing what coach asks of me,” she said.

Despite the big lead Raniewicz called a timeout with 5:48 left in the game and scolded her team for not hustling back on defense.

“It doesn’t matter to me. All the people on this team is important to me and I’m going to coach for 40 minutes, that’s just how I’m built,” Raniewicz said.

Shortly after the timeout LA Harbor had its third player foul out in the game. The team was already down one player due to injury.

Subsequently, the Seahawks were forced to play the last 4:39 with four players on the floor.

As if things weren’t bad enough.

Another bright spot was the fact that all of the starters were able to rest the entire fourth quarter.

Freshman guard/forward Allyson O’Brien scored 12 of her 14 points in the first half.

“My aggressiveness is staying up and I’m just trying to execute better than I did against Long Beach City,” she said.

She was the leading scorer in the Long Beach City with only 10 points.

This game she was second only to fellow freshman guard Kaylyn James, who had 15 points.

“She’s just being aggressive. A shooter likes to see a zone and then the tempo and aggressiveness I think suits her,” Raniewicz said.

The team will be off Friday, Feb.12 as the team will score a forfeit win, as LA Southwest does not have enough eligible players.

The team will resume play Wednesday, Feb. 17 when it travels to El Camino for a 5 p.m. tip-off.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!