“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” the cute, sappy little rom-com

Getty Images
Kevin Polowy (R) interviews Lana Condor during her visit to the Build Series to discuss “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” at Build Studio on August 13, 2018 in New York City. (Photo by Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images)

“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before”, Netflix’s original film, is a sappy romance story with a few rough patches along the way, but delivers a rom-com.

Although the film is a bit dramatic, it is worth the watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

The film in itself has a colorful soundtrack. With tracks from Blood Orange, the Velveteins, to Wild Nothing, they boost a spotlight on non-mainstream artists and defer from the usual mainstream artists.

Lara Jean Covey is the main character who is a junior in high school.

Lara Jean is a quite, smart and poised student who she believes is invisible to her classmates.

Once the drama starts unfolding in her life, she realizes that she is not completely invisible.

Lara Jean often fantasized about relationships and romance, more particularly, her older sister Margot’s boyfriend, Josh.

While Lara Jean and Josh had been friends since they were children, Lara Jean had never confessed her love to Josh.

Her outlet was writing love letters to her crushes, five crushes in particular, and adding their appropriate address, but never mailing them out.

For some time, writing and confessing her love for these boys was something Lara Jean would do in private, that is until the letters got leaked.

Which makes it seem like a part of her wanted the letters to get out and experience love for herself, and not just the love she read in books.

Of the five boys Lara Jean had at some point had crushes on, three of them received letters.

Josh, her older sister’s boyfriend, Peter, the boy she kissed in 7th grade, but is now the boyfriend of her arch nemesis, Genevieve, and lastly, Lucas, the boy she went to homecoming with, but came out as gay.

While, Lara Jean got let down gently by Lucas and Peter, she was petrified as to what Josh would say.

Although, Josh and Margot had split it up, since Margot was heading off to college, the thought of betrayal to her sister did not sit well with her.

Avoiding Josh like a plague, Lara Jean is faced with the dilemma of coming clean with the truth, or creating an elaborate plan to make sure Josh never finds out about her true feelings for him.

And like Josh, Peter had recently been dumped by his girlfriend, Genevieve as well.

Of course, this would not be a dramatic rom-com if Lara Jean had not chosen the complex plan, right?

Which is when Peter and Lara Jean decide to be each other’s pawn. One, to make Genevieve jealous and the other, to make Josh believe that the letter he received held no meaning.

As unrealistic as the fake dating gets, the film holds its entertainment value and does not get boring.

The film has the typical mean girl interaction and the story line of Lara Jean and Genevieve once being the best of friends.

Which leads to the film being predictable to some extent and unoriginal.

Nonetheless, the film is a delightful watch and depicts the life of a teenage girl, with a strong family support system.

“To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” is a breath of fresh air and is a cute rom-com that holds its entertainment value without having to go Rated R, like so many other teenage films.

Elizabeth Corcoles
Elizabeth Corcoles, Online Editor
Elizabeth is the current Online and Social Media Editor for Talon Marks. She has previously worked on Arts and Entertainment section and is now working towards transferring to a Cal State. Her interest include concerts, design and would love to work for a music publication.