The Game Awards: Predictions and announcements discussion

Photo by JC Olivera/Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – DECEMBER 12: Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day performs onstage during The Game Awards 2019 at Microsoft Theater on December 12, 2019 in Los Angeles, California

On Dec. 12 The Game Awards will be held and will be bringing together every company and person who has ever been working in the gaming industry. They will be awarding the top games that were released this year for their creativity and influences that it brought to many people around the world.

The way voting works is that the jury votes are 90%, while the fans and people voting online gets 10% of the votes. Around 80 people of the jury have been chosen from many different companies lending their words and voting to see which game deserves the victory.

The first Game Awards were on Dec. 5 2014 and since then has it continued to bring exciting announcements and surprises to everyone attending the event or watching through streaming networks.

This years musical performance will be Green Day, in which they would perform some of their famous songs. Along with them, the Game Awards Orchestra returns from last year and would be playing music for all the nominations for game of the year.

Embed from Getty Images

On top of that, it’s also an event where many companies announce the new projects that they’ve been working on and will exhibit it to the public for the first time.

The nominations and categories for the awards show have been announced, all 29 of them to be precise.

Though there are 29 categories, only a few of them would be given the most screen time during the show.

For this years game of the year they nominated “Death Stranding,” “Resident Evil 2 Remake,” “Outer Worlds,” “Control,” “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice” and “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.” With Smash Bros. being the winner of the category.

For best action game they nominated “Apex Legends,” “Astral Chain,” “Devil May Cry 5,” “Call of Duty: Modern Ware Fare,” “Gears 5” and “Metro Exodus.” The game that has the most chance of winning is “Devil May Cry 5”.

The nominations for best art direction in a video game are “Death Stranding,” “Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening,” “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice,” “Control,” “Gris” and “Sayonara Wild Hearts.” “Death Stranding” would be the winner for best art direction.

Embed from Getty Images

The nominations for best fighting game are “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,” “Samurai Showdown,” “Dead or Alive 6,” “Jump Force” and “Mortal Kombat 11.” The winner of best fighting game would go to Smash Bros.

The nominations for best strategy game are “Fire Emblem: Three Houses,” “Ware Grove,” “Age of Wonder; Planetfall,” “Anno 1800,” “Total War: Three Kingdoms” and “Tropico 6.” “Fire Emblem: Three Houses” could be the winner of best strategy game.

For Sports/Racing games the nominations for that category are “Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled,” “Dirt Rally 2.0,” “Fifa 20,” “F1 2019” and “E football Pro Evolution Soccer 2020.” “Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled” seems like the winner of this category.

As for what games that might be announced many people speculated that Nintendo would be announcing the fifth DLC character for ‘Smash Bros. Ultimate’ which is a downloadable character that people can purchase separately or in a bundle that includes five more characters stages and music, a remake of Super Metroid, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD and maybe Bayonetta 3 which was announced to be in development back in 2017.

Other announcement may include Capcom showing off a remake of Resident Evil 3, Bandai Namco with ‘Elden Ring’ and more information regarding ‘Half Life: Alyx’

But other than that everything is completely kept under wraps and would definitely surprise the audience for games coming out in 2020 and beyond.

Oscar Torres
Oscar Torres, Co-Arts and Entertainment Editor
Oscar Torres is one of the Co-Arts & Entertainment editors here in Cerritos college. He’s been wanting to study journalism since high school and since then he’s been working hard to continue his goal. He enjoys all things entertainment from manga, film, shows/cartoons, music and video games. Oscar hopes to transfer to CSULA to continue his career in journalism in hope of one day working in a news group that he is passionate about or starting his own brand for all things entertainment.