Huge sales numbers for the Nintendo Switch and its games

Detail+of+a+young+woman+playing+video+games+on+a+Nintendo+Switch+home+console%2C+taken+on+March+7%2C+2017.+
Photo by James Sheppard/Future via Getty Images)
Detail of a young woman playing video games on a Nintendo Switch home console, taken on March 7, 2017.

Nintendo revealed their financial results for their consoles and software sales going from a nine-month period, showing that in last year’s financial report Nintendo managed to sell over 30 million Switches from its global debut in Mar. 3, 2017.

Nintendo is reporting that the Nintendo Switch has sold over 52 million consoles over the holiday period.

They have sold over 16 million in this quarter, and the console has only been in the market for almost three years.

Nintendo also managed to pass the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, which the company considered to be a success with over 41 million sold. It also outsold the Xbox One in sales, though there is no distinct number of sales. Selling 40 million, it only took three years for the Switch to surpass the Xbox in console sales.

Many investors talked to Nintendo CEO/President Shuntaro Furukawa about plans for a “Pro” version of the console, to which Furukawa replied, “According to the conventional wisdom for dedicated video game consoles, Nintendo Switch should be entering the midway phase of the hardware life cycle.”

He continued, saying, “But we believe that we have built a foundation on which we can pursue further growth opportunities for Nintendo Switch.”

Many insiders and people from the video game industry were speculating about a Switch Pro in the works releasing this year or 2021; however, it seems that many will have to wait as there are no plans to announce or make a console.

For the Switch Lite, Furukawa expresses concerns about it, saying that, “We feel that we have not yet fully communicated with special features and appeal of Nintendo Switch Lite so we will continue to address this going forward.”

Furukawa then went on to say, “Regardless, Nintendo Switch, we believe that it is important to continue to communicate the appeal of both Nintendo Switch systems and expand the installed base.”

Moving on to software and game sales, Nintendo revealed the top 10 best selling games, though the only games that will be looked at is the top three games that was surprising to see do well.

The first one is Pokemon Sword and Shield, with all the controversy with this game so far it was surprising that it sold over 16 million in only a few months of being released.

Now with future expansions coming within 2020, it seems like it will continue to sell even more through the following year.

Next was Super Smash Bros Ultimate, selling over 17.68 million, making it not only the best-selling Smash game, but the best-selling fighting game of all-time beating Street Fighter 2.

Finally the best-selling Switch title goes to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, released in April 2017, as it has sold over 22 million consoles, making it one of the best-sold Mario Kart titles of all time.

That is all for their financial report for this quarter but they will be going over how the Switch and its games have done again in March of this year.

Oscar Torres, Co-Arts and Entertainment Editor
Oscar Torres is one of the Co-Arts & Entertainment editors here in Cerritos college. He’s been wanting to study journalism since high school and since then he’s been working hard to continue his goal. He enjoys all things entertainment from manga, film, shows/cartoons, music and video games. Oscar hopes to transfer to CSULA to continue his career in journalism in hope of one day working in a news group that he is passionate about or starting his own brand for all things entertainment.