Conference play continues against ELAC

Despite sitting with an overall losing record of 5-6, the volleyball team heads into East Los Angeles College with renewed confidence as it has also earned a 2-1 conference record.

Head coach Teresa Velasquez-Ortega has reiterated fundamentals in the team’s play and talked about fine tuning some problems that may have lead to its past losing skid.

She said, “The practices that we’ve had have been exactly for this type of game, to fix our problems that we’ve had in the past. And I think it works now. You can tell last game it was really good, and we just keep looking forward to the next game.“

Only losing the first conference game of the season against El Camino College, the Falcons have found a spark in their play by breaking out of their losing slump and riding a current two-game win streak.

“I feel a lot better. I feel like we’ve been working hard and deserve it,” Natalie Caravantes, setter, said.

The Falcons were short a starter (Jasmin Mitchell) against El Camino, but with their starting middle-blocker coming off an ankle sprain, hopes are high heading into ELAC.

“Now that she’s back, you could see the difference in the team. Her replacement (Erika Mendoza) did a good job, but Jasmin has little bit more experience; she helps the team get a little stronger,” coach Velasquez-Ortega said.

Players and coaches have reiterated the fundamentals of communication.

“Just by talking, it makes a huge impact on the court. If you don’t talk, you can tell a team is not going to win.

“Communication is one of the biggest things on our team, too,” Sandra Alvarado, defensive specialist, said.

Being physical has also been a factor in the volleyball team’s bid for a winning record.

Fighting for every ball has made an impact on the court, too.

The Falcons head to East Los Angeles College on Wednesday in hopes to continue their success against their conference.

The volleyball team’s next home game is then Friday against Los Angeles Trade-Tech College at 6 p.m.

Armando Jacobo, Online Editor
Spring 2015 My name is Armando Jacobo. I’ve been a part of Talon Marks for three straight semesters now and I enjoy every aspect of the hectic lifestyle that entails it. This is my first semester as online editor. I’m also a journalism major but I’m not entirely set what I want to do with it though. Maybe enter the sports realm or music industry…or just nothing.