Falcons’ Football off to a strong start

Sophomore+WR%2C+No.+8+Jacob+Gasser+with+a+clean+reception+running+the+ball+in+for+a+touchdown.+The+Falcons+dominant+in+the+first+quarter.+
Carlos Ruiz
Sophomore WR, No. 8 Jacob Gasser with a clean reception running the ball in for a touchdown. The Falcons dominant in the first quarter.

Falcon football saw its season opener Saturday night against East Los Angeles college and it seemed as though the Falcons were running circles around East Los Angeles with a final score of 56-21.

Zarin Redfud, cornerback, felt great about the margin of the game. He said, “I love it, it’s just knowing we are a great team this year, knowing we beat East LA with a deficit like that with the talent they have on their team is a great feeling.”

Carl Odom, running back, is extremely hopeful of his team. He said, “The only team that can beat us is us. I feel like we can make a deep playoff run and make it to the championship.”

The Falcons started their season with a huge win, but also showed off their new uniforms. Dean Grosfeld, head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterback coach, explained the meaning behind the uniforms saying, “It was a going away present from Mazzotta we have two lads going over to the military right after this season so that’s why you see the American flag in the falcon on the helmets, we also named one of the guys going to the military, David Salgado, as one of our captains tonight.”

TM Carlos Ruiz
Zarin Redfud on defense pre-snap. The team showing off their new uniforms.

David Walker, running back, was ecstatic about the uniforms. He said, “I love ’em, they actually fit very well and it feels really great to have something like that; it feels really special to us.”

The game marked Grosfeld’s first season game as a head coach. His thoughts on his first game were, “A little nerve racking, but it was fun. You just never know what’s gonna happen the first game so it’s a little tough but i’m proud of the kids”

Falcons came out firing on all cylinders as they ended the first quarter 21-0 quarterback Isaiah Bravo said, “We came out really ready to play there was some things said before the game on the other [East LA] side that really gave us the motivation, but overall in the first half we played really well.”

The Falcons at the end of half had a score of 35-7 proving themselves to be strong offensively and defensively.

TM Carlos Ruiz
Sophomore RB, No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson on a running play. Stevenson ran past the defensive lineman swiftly.

Grosfeld recognizes his team saying, “The scary thing is we need to clean some stuff up our talent level is up and we have some really good football players and I’m really happy with our talent level, good teams put up those scores so i’m really happy with that.”

After the half, the onslaught continued as the Falcons ended the third quarter 49-14. Although the team was still putting up big numbers and shutting down LA’s defense the Falcons defense and offense had also slowed.

Redfud said the reasons the Falcons play had slowed in the second half was due to substitutions.

He said, “We were just trying to get more guys in like second strings and third strings guys to see how they play, I feel like if we would have left our first strings in they would have put no points on the board.”

Coach Grosfeld, in the second half, wanted to see how well the rest of his team could play and said, “We are trying to get a lot of kids playing i want to say we played close to 60 kids tonight that’s a lot in a football game.”

As the team rotated plays in and out through the line up the start of the fourth quarter showed that even though the starters were out the team could still play defense and offense as the quarter ended 56-21.

Coach Grosfeld is tremendously impressed with his team this season and the way they played, “ We just gotta keep that going I mean conditioning in the first game is tough, but they can do it.”

Grosfeld later implied that this season just may be the best season he’s seen from Falcon football. He said, “I’ve been here for 24 season this being my 25 year and that’s about the most talented team we’ve had they are very talented on the offensive side and defensive side.”

Grosfeld thought on the overall play of his team was: “I’m proud of the kids they played hard they did exactly what I asked them to do.”

TM Carlos Ruiz
Coach Grosfeld addressing his team after the game.

The Falcons will try and top themselves Sept. 8 away against Moorpark at 6 p.m.

Christopher Martinez
Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor
Christopher Martinez is currently the sports editor for Cerritos College’s Talon Marks. He hopes to transfer to Cal State Dominguez Hills or Cal State Long Beach and obtain his Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. His dream is to also receive his master’s in journalism from USC and to work as a Sports Data Journalist for either ESPN, Bleacher Report, or Fox Sports.
Carlos Ruiz
Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.