Falcons losing streak continues falling to No. 1 ranked Fullerton College

After starting the season 3-0 the Falcons football team lost its third game in a row against Fullerton College 35-25 on Oct. 13, following the loss, the team is now 3-3 overall in the season.

It was all Fullerton football in the first quarter as they ran over the falcons defense by scoring three touchdowns to make the score 21-0.

Fullerton scored again early in the second quarter extending their lead 28-0 with 12:21 left in the quarter.

Cerritos defensive end, No. 99 Anthony Shipton, shared what the problems was in the first quarter.

“We could’ve played harder, faster, and more as a team instead of playing for each other.”

Cerritos would finally make a statement as they drove the ball downfield to punch in the easy two-yard touchdown run made by fullback, No. 44 Etieni Valele, with 7:52 left in the quarter.

Fullerton would answer right back three minutes later as they trampled over Cerritos defense once more to add another touchdown to their lead making the score 35-7 with 4:01 left in the second quarter.

On the next Cerritos drive, quarterback No. 11 Isaiah Bravo would connect with receivers C.J. Parks and Jacob Gasser to put the offense into Fullerton territory.

Looking like the offense would’ve scored another touchdown before the quarter ended, Bravo would throw an interception to end the half on a bad note.

Despite trailing Fullerton 35-7 at halftime, Coach Grosfeld kept it positive with his players and had encouraging words, “The halftime speech was about not giving up and having pride so we represent ourselves well.”

Grosfeld not only wanted his players to not give up and have pride but to show what kind of team they are, “The real thing was to come out in the second half and show what kind of character they have.”

Early in the third, the defense did just that as cornerback, #20 Dior Denson, would pick off the ball to shift momentum toward Cerritos.

On the ensuing drive, Bravo and the offense would drive the ball to the Fullerton 19-yard line where they would face a long 4th and 18.

Fullerton’s defense wouldn’t be fooled as Cerritos would try a fake field goal.

Bravo was the holder on the play as he would roll out right looking for an open receiver but would come up empty and would have to throw it away out of bounds.

Cerritos defense would make another big stop, this time forcing Fullerton to turn the ball over on downs.

On Cerritos next drive, Running Back No. 3 Rhamondre Stevenson would follow his blockers and rumble down the field for 44-yards deep into Fullerton territory.

Cerritos would stall again and would be forced to kick a field goal converting it making the score 35-10 with 6:10 left in the third quarter.

Fullerton’s offense couldn’t find a rhythm as they would be stopped once more by a tough Cerritos defense on fourth down giving the ball right back to Bravo and the offense at Fullerton’s 46-yard line.

The next offensive drive was a success as Bravo connected multiple passes to receiver Jacob Gasser.

A few plays later, Bravo would roll out right and throw a touchdown pass to freshman running back, Carl Odom which made the score now 35-17 with Fullerton still leading.

Cerritos defense came up clutch multiple times stopping Fullerton’s offense on three straight drives.

The Falcons next scoring drive came late in the fourth quarter where Carl Odom would score again,but this time rushing it into the end-zone.

The offense would go for two and would be successful making the score 35-25 with Fullerton still ahead.

Unfortunately, that would be the last touchdown as time would run out for the Falcons.

Despite losing, Falcons took Grosfeld’s halftime speech seriously and did not disappoint as the offense was able to score eighteen unanswered points while the defense gave up zero points.

Defensive captain Jason Nettles, expressed what needs to be done differently for this week’s game, “We just gotta come out and play harder right from the start and not take any plays off.”

Cerritos next conference opponent will be against San Diego Mesa which will also be the Falcon’s homecoming game.

Both Cerritos and San Diego Mesa are 3-3 so far in the season and are coming off tough losses.

https://infogram.com/football-1h8j4xxrl1xd4mv

Keanu Ruffo, Sports Editor
Keanu Ruffo is a Journalism major and is the returning Sports Editor for Talon Marks news division here at Cerritos College. Keanu plans to transfer to Cal State Long Beach once’s he’s received his AA degree. His career goal is to work for the NFL Network or ESPN.