Falcons women’s basketball collects awards heading into postseason

After going 9-1 in the South Coast Conference, the Falcons women’s basketball team won a championship share of the division title.

Due to a tie, El Camino College also won a piece of the pie, sharing the title with the Falcons.

Cerritos College women’s basketball concluded their season on a high note besting Los Angeles Harbor College, 94-37, on Friday.

The team was yet again clicking on all cylinders in the last game, as it notched seven straight wins to cap off the regular season with an overall record of 20-10.

Regular season awards are starting to pile up for the Falcons, now that the season has ended.

Sophomore guard No. 20 Jesenia Rendon was named SCC’s Player of the Year. Jesenia averaged nearly 20 points per game, to go along with four rebounds and three assists.

Jesenia spoke previously on the season, she said, “Together we’re playing much better, we’re getting more disciplined as we come down further into the season, that’s important for playoffs.

She continued, “Executing our plays, playing harder in practice just all comes together and it turns out well for our games.”

While head coach Trisha Kozlowski was announced as the Coach of the Year for the first time in her tenure with Cerritos College. As she lead the Falcons back to the postseason.

Kozlowski said, “I always want to represent Cerritos [College] in the playoffs. Win conference, go to playoffs, I think that’s the goal for every team on this campus.”

Joining Jesenia on the SCC first-team, are sophomore’s No. 24 Serena Rendon, No. 23 Jessica Gomez; freshmen’s No. 13 Sarah Hernandez and No. 21 Lynette Garcia.

Last season, Serena was the SCC Freshman of the Year. In her second season with the Falcons she finished with averages of 16 points, five rebounds and two assists a contest—she also shot 35 percent on her 3-pointers.

The team will enter the playoffs as the No. 16 seed.

Falcons women’s hoops will play at home versus the No. 17 seeded Citrus College team in the first round of the Southern California Regional Playoffs on Feb. 26 at 7 p.m.

Cerritos College holds the edge against Citrus College going 13-4 against the team all-time.

As for the victor of that match, that team will then take on No. 1 seed Moorpark College in the second round of the SoCal Regional Playoffs on Sat. at 7 p.m. in an away game.

Jah-Tosh Baruti, Staff Writer
Jah-Tosh Baruti is author of the sports column titled Shmackem. Previously he was sports editor for Talon Marks. Baruti also took home an award for his sports writing at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges’ state conference in 2018.