Early Bird Special one of many steps to encourage healthy eating

Juan Ramirez, president of the Associated Students of Cerritos College, is changing the school little by little, in hopes of making it healthier, and the Early Bird Special is one example of that change.

The Early Bird Special will be held Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 6:30 a.m. in the quad.

According to Ramirez, the Early Bird Special has been a tradition for a while, and although the funds are from the CCFA fee, which is $10, the money is divided up and being used to bring In-N-Out and other kinds of events.

“It used to give out donuts, but as of last semester, it has moved away from that, and now provides healthier options, such as granola bars, protein bars, fruit, water and juice,” Ramirez said about the Early Bird Special.

The new ASCC president had been running on a healthy campaign of bringing healthier food vendors on campus.

He noticed the event was giving out donuts, milk and other options which were not exactly healthy, and he felt that it is not a healthy way to start the day, as you should eat something nutritious.

Aldemar Sanchez, ASCC vice president, finds that The Early Bird Special is required as it is one of the ways that the early morning students can feel appreciated, and the ASCC give this option not only to students, but to faculty and staff.

Sanchez feels that it is essential because a lot of students don’t wake up early enough to have breakfast, which they need for their early morning classes to stay energized.

Sanchez also touches on the idea that although the students do pay the $10 fee and the money does come to the ASCC, they don’t use the money for themselves, as they try to give back to the students.

“Well with waking up early, getting ready and looking for parking on campus, breakfast is often missed as they need to get to school and everything else. Last year they had student appreciation day, where they gave out free tacos,” Sanchez said.

As for expanding, Sanchez wants to do it more then once a month.

“Maybe twice a month to get it rolling, as students aren’t only hungry once a month. But should they want to do it more it will require the committees involvement, and a great deal more organizing and students volunteering.”

Daniel Linares
Daniel Linares, Co-Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hello and Good Morrow! To those of you reading this, you are most likely in the same journalism class as I, if you are not, that also works. I am Daniel Linares, a.k.a. Pterodactyl Dann, a.k.a. your Multimedia Editor for Fall 2014! I'm 25% accounting major, 30% multimedia guy, 42% numbers guy, 73% student, and 99% pirate. I'm also an accounting major.