Falcons suffer loss to Long Beach City

9a079edc-25b2-4d79-a3c5-18c8ee9896d6 copy

Tensions were at an all-time high in the Falcons 91-78 loss to rival Long Beach City.

The game got ornery right away, with Head Coach Russ May being issued a warning just a little over 10 minutes into the game.

“Lack of consistency. Consistency is all we ask for, a similar foul was called against us on the other end….We just wanted the same thing on our end and we didn’t get those calls,” May said.

“I just have to battle for my guys,” he added.

May wasn’t the only person who felt the wrath of the referees. Two technical fouls were assessed, one to each team.

Sophomore forward Jeff Gonzalez received the technical for Cerritos after Long Beach City’s Davarrus Bryant was seen jaw-jacking at him.

“I’d rather leave it on the court,” Gonzalez said.

He finished the game with 21 points.

Falcons leading scorer Micah Winn was not on the floor. The reason being was because he was ejected from the Cerritos’ last contest and by California rule for community colleges the player must sit out a game.

“Definitely on the defensive end, his toughness and quickness and ability to guard the basketball was missed,” May said.

The game would’ve been a lot closer had the Falcons taken advantage at the free throw stripe. Cerritos finished the game shooting 20-35 (57%) from the line, according to the Cerritos athletics wesbite.

“When you miss free throws in a tight game it’s morally deflating. We’ve really been working that mental toughness lately, so I get disappointed for the guys because I want them to have that success,” May acknowledged.

Freshman guard Jay Merriweather came out strong and finished the game with 20 points shooting 5-of-6 from the three-point line.

“It’s a rivalry game I just wanted to come out and get this win. All those threes mean nothing to me I just want to get the win,” he said.

The physicality was there for the Falcons with Sophomore forward Josh Bell posting a double-double with 16 points and 11 boards.

Despite closing the gap to five in the closing minutes, Long Beach City went on a 16-6 run.

“I’m a captain, so I have to lead by example so the [men] can [follow] my lead. I was trying to tell them it isn’t over till [the clock reads] 0.0. I don’t care if we’re down 20, never put your head down,” Bell said.

“I thought our guys did an excellent job of executing the game plan, so we’ll get back at them next time,” May said.

The Falcons next game will be on Jan. 21 as they tip-off at home against East Los Angeles.

Terrel Emerson
Terrel Emerson, Online Editor
Hello all, I am Terrel "Chatterbox" Emerson. I was the Online Editor for the 2016 Fall Semester. I am a sports buff. My work can be seen on terrelemerson.wordpress.com. Follow me on twitter @sir_chatterbox. Dodgersnation.com, check it out!
Sean Fulmer
Sean Fulmer, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Hi my name is Sean Fulmer . I am from Long Beach Ca and this is my first semester at cerritos college and my first sermester shooting pictures for any publications . I am a photography major but that might be changing to journalism very soon .I like working on cars or skateboarding in my free time, If you can follow me on Instagram or twitter @To0fadedd