Women’s cross country place third in Golden West Invitational

Sophomore captain Marylu Pulido was the sixth runner to finish the race out of 121 runners and posted a time of 19 minutes 47 seconds in the Golden West Invitational.

Pulido said “Overall as a team we did good I think we have to get closer together as a [pack].”

Cerritos College earned third place out of 13 Colleges in the Golden West Invitational at Central Park in Huntington Beach, California.

Competing in a 5K course the Falcons compiled 87 team points falling short from first place team Glendale College who earned 32 team points followed by College of the Canyons who earned second place with a total of 55 team points.

With a pack of sophomore runners running and finishing one after another. Experience came to help the Falcons as the returned to this track and knew what to expect from the course but that didn’t happen due to construction that was going on.

Head coach Bryan Ramos said, “Now that we have our top seven runners healthy we have to be ready for conference which is in two weeks.”

Ramos added, “The women should do well in the next meet with a bye week this week.”

Finishing second for Cerritos College sophomore Elsa Vazquez Vallin was not to far apart from Pulido as Vallin finished in 13th place with a time of 20 minutes and 15 seconds.

Sophomore Stephanie Perea finished the race in 20 minutes and 44 seconds placing 20th overall in the course.

Following Perea was the fourth sophomore Maria Orosco finishing the course with a time of 20 minutes and 54 seconds placing in 24th place.

Finishing fifth for the team in the race was freshmen Alexis Garfias who finished with a time of 21 minutes and 18 seconds placing a 36th overall in the meet.

After Garfias finished freshmen runner Kathia Munoz and sophomore Neiva Cuevas as Munoz finished 49th overall with 22 minutes and 11 seconds, and Cuevas finished 54th overall finishing the race with a time of 22 minutes and 26 seconds.

Having a bye week this weekend Cerritos College is preparing for the next meet at the Brubaker Invitational on Oct. 9.

Christian Gonzales, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Christian Gonzales. This fall semester I am the Sports Editor for Talon Marks. This is my third year at Cerritos college. I enjoy talking about sports like basketball, football, tennis,and soccer. IG:ChrisG_Sports Twitter:ChrisG_Sports