Falcons football team wins last game of the season

At the end of its season, the Cerritos College football team ended with a win against Moorpark College, 42-20, on Saturday, Nov. 10 at Falcon Stadium.

By the end of the first quarter, both teams had scored a touchdown, leading to a 7-7 tie.

However, with several interceptions, the Falcons were able to score three more touchdowns over the Raiders with a 5-yard pass completion by quarterback Morgan Fennell to tight end Tristan Henderson, a 5-yard run completed by running back Michael Jasper, and a 50-yard interception return by cornerback Vailele Peko.

With 29 seconds left in the first half of the game, Moorpark College was able to compete one more touchdown with a 3-yard run by linebacker Justin Roberson.

By halftime, Cerritos College was up 27-14.

Fennell said, “We were just taking whatever they gave us. Our offense was based on whatever defense they’re going to play against us.”

Fennell had completed 70 passing yards, with seven pass completions, one interception and one touchdown.

Coming back from the half, defensive end Sola Hala completed a touchdown on a 25-yard fumble return.

Later in the third quarter, Moorpark College scored a touchdown with a 6-yard run by tight end Max Leffler.

In the fourth quarter, replacing Fennell, quarterback Paul Lopez was able to complete one more touchdown with a 6-yard pass to wide receiver Robert Abeyta.

Having three completed passes, one touchdown, and 23 passing yards, Lopez said about filling in for Fennell, “I started out good and then afterwards I just struggled, and not paying attention to things. I could’ve done better.”

Moorpark was unable to come back, ending the game 42-20.

Cerritos College wide receiver Ricky Carrigan Jr. said the MVP of the game had to be Vailele Peko.

“He was just everywhere the ball was,” said Carrigan Jr.

With Moorpark College being the last game of the season, Fennell said about the overall season highlight, “I think the highest point was when everybody was healthy and we were on a roll but unfortunately some people got hurt. Key people got hurt and we kind of ended the season, not the way we wanted to, but it’s always good to get a win at the end.”

Lopez hopes for a bowl game to be in the works for the team.

Unless that happens, Lopez added that the team will just be training and preparing for the next season.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.