Falcons Softball defeat Long Beach City College in second conference game

Sophomore+infielder+No.+33+Rain+Vega+hit+a+triple+down+left+field+in+the+bottom+of+the+5th+inning.+Vega+batted+in+two+runners.+
Carlos Ruiz
Sophomore infielder No. 33 Rain Vega hit a triple down left field in the bottom of the 5th inning. Vega batted in two runners.

The Cerritos College softball team won its second conference match of the season against Long Beach City College 10-2 in only five innings due to the mercy rule.

The Falcons was scoreless the first inning, but the following four innings they were capable of scoring 10 runs, and had 13 hits in the game’s entirety.

Head coach Kodee Murray said the team came to play and did a great job against their opponents.

“I thought Sierra Gerdts threw a great game, up and down our lineup put pressure on em’ [LBCC] throughout the game,” said Murray.

With this being the second win in conference, Murray says the Falcons are just taking it one game at a time, and believes the team has plenty of areas to improve on with so many games to come.

Murray elaborated on what the team can work on saying, “Everything, we can improve on everything. We’re hitting the ball consistently as a team now and that’s very important.–It’s just gonna take more games to [get to] where we really need to be.

She continued, “We just have to show up and know that we’re a team and fight together. If we continue to do that we’ll get better and better as the season goes on.”

_MG_8427.JPG
Sophomore infielder No. 33 Rain Vega was at bat four times. Vega had two RBI's. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

Sophomore infielder No. 33 Rain Vega shared her thoughts on her performance in the game, “I struggled with my bat at the beginning, but eventually I came around and I was able to see the ball a lot better at the end of the game.

“There’s definitely a lot of things that I can still work on, but for the most part I think I did decent.”

Vega hit a triple down the left field line in the bottom of the 5th inning batting in two runners to finish the game.

“For the most part I was just trying to see the first strike, I told myself that I was just gonna hop on it as quickly as possible.–My mindset was just getting in there, see it and hit it,” said Vega

Vega continued, “Our team did fantastic today, it’s easy to just sit back when you have a couple of runs, but we just kept pushing and pushing and pushing. We all had each others back.

“I’m really proud of my girls, all the effort and hard work they put into this game.”

Vega ended with, “As long as we all come out with the same amount of energy that we did today and we’re all playing with each other, I think conference will come out pretty good for us.

“We’re still early in the season so I can’t say much, but as a team as long as we stay together we should do well.”

Vega was at bat four times, she had one hit and batted in two runners.

_MG_8171.JPG
Freshman pitcher Sierra Gerdts played all five innings of the game. Gerdts had 99 pitches and had 53 pitched strikes. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

Freshman pitcher No. 20 Sierra Gerdts feels she did a lot better compared to the last game she played against L.A. Harbor College.

Gerdts believes she improved on her accuracy and having the confidence in her pitches.

Gerdts spoke on the team’s performance, “Everyone did really good, they hit well, were alert on the bases and everyone trusted each other.”

Gerdts was in all five innings of the game, as she pitched 99 times, and had 53 strikes.

_MG_8404.JPG
Freshman outfielder No. 16 Brianna Spoolstra hitting the ball into center field. Brianna had two hits and a run. Photo credit: Carlos Ruiz

Freshman outfielder No. 16 Brianna Spoolstra says the team came out pretty strong, she believes she could’ve done a little bit better in her last at bat by swinging more.

“As long as I’m just swinging the bat, I’ll make contact,” said Spoolstra.

Spoolstra was at bat four times, she had two hits and scored once at the bottom of the 4th inning.

Freshman 1st baseman No. 17 Keira Bolinas believes she did pretty well, also saying that her first at bat wasn’t very good, but she came back strong with a lot of RBI’s.

“I just try to do the best I can as a player, with hitting I try to get on base as much as I can and for infield I try to make every play possible,” said Bolinas.

Bolinas was at bat three times, batted in three runners, had two hits and scored in two runs.

Following the win against Long Beach City College, the Falcons had a home game against Riverside on Feb. 24 in which they won 4-2.

The Falcons’ softball team has its next conference match away at Compton College on March 1.

Carlos Ruiz
Carlos Ruiz, Managing Editor
Carlos Ruiz is the Managing Editor for Talon Marks. He admires photography, and even launched his own website and has dedicated his Instagram to his work. His dream job is always changing, but most recently, he would like to travel the world taking photos, or something having to do with photojournalism. He’s hopeful to continue working on a newspaper staff at the CSU he decides to attend.