Plenty to look forward to with Track and Field approaching

Cerritos men and women’s track and field readies itself for their season opener at Mt. San Antonio College.

The race is set to be at Mt. San Antonio College starting at 11 a.m

Coming off a third place finishing the Southern California Championships and placing seventh at CCCAA Championships; this first race is to get the teams comfortable and to really evaluate where everyone is at in their training.

According to director Christopher Richardson his goal for the team in this upcoming race is to expose the freshman to collegiate level track and field.

“This is not a highly competitive situation, ” Richardson said, “We don’t hold it to as a high regard [in terms of meets].”

He did assure that, “ We do take it serious […] whatever [the] situation we make the most of it.”

This race will be more relay oriented instead of a normal format of open races, relays and field events.

“The running events are all relay formatted like the 4×400 meters, 2×400 meters, shuttle relays and 4×1600 meters,” he said, “As far as field events they are all open.”

Not all athletes will be competing this race, mainly just freshman, but those who hold top five marks will be returning to the track.

Returning athlete Destiny Mack-Talalemotu said,“It’s basically like a practice meet. It will determine how we start off this season.”

Mack-Talalemotu currently holds records in the javelin (40.34 m), shot put (14.83 m) and discus (47.1).

She hopes that she can beat her personal best this season and to continue holding the top mark for shot put.

“My goal is to beat the [Cerritos] record, which is my old one,” said Mack-Talalemotu.

“Hopefully, I can try to win state for not only two events, like i did previously, but for all four [throwing] events,” she added.

The team this year is young with most of the athletes being freshman but coaches work their best to prepare them for the upcoming season.

Returner Erica Davis said, “ I feel like the team is prepared […] we are looking really good. We are hoping for another first [place] in state this year, for the women.”

Davis holds the fourth mark in the Cerritos record book for pole vault and she hopes to continue to better her marks as the season goes on.

“[…] Long term i hope to break 12 [feet] and hopefully beat the school record, like my coaches want,” she said.

The season opener should preview what is to come for the rest of the season.

“We all seem to be ready and are all really excited [for the race,]” Davis concluded.

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.