There is a motherfucking FEVER

The+Fever33+celebrate+the+drop+of+their+first+album%2C+Strength+in+Numb33rs%2C+by+attending+the+DTLA+teachers+march+on+Friday%2C+January+18.+
Julissa Villalobos
The Fever33 celebrate the drop of their first album, Strength in Numb33rs, by attending the DTLA teachers march on Friday, January 18.

In the mix of a government shut down and over 35,000 LAUSD teachers marching for their students, The Fever333 drops an album that starts a fire, actually a fever in everyone who listens.

Let this fever be a source of strength to make the changes you want to see in your community.

The Fever333 is a three-member band, Jason Butler on vocals, Stephin Harris on lead guitar and Aric Improta on drums.

All three members are dedicated to speaking up on important political issues that plague the communities they grew up in, the same communities their fans live in.

Shows are even called demonstrations, and are used as a major platform to spread awareness and speak on current issues.

The Fever333 is a band who has risen to the top in such a fierce amount of time. Being backed by Travis Barker, drummer to band Blink182.

Playing opening night of Sheaperd Feiry’s art show, selling out several LA shows, and playing huge festivals in Japan.

These three men are on fire and rising to the top quickly and they did it all with only four songs in their discography.

At the stoke of midnight on Friday Jan. 18, Strength in Numb333rs the debut album for The Fever333 dropped. This is a moment fans who have been chasing the Fever and new fans alike have been desperately waiting for.

The album opens with a strong monologue that takes place at a protest with what sounds like hundreds of fans chanting “333”. The fans consisting of all different genders, religions and ethnicities.

The first song “Burn It” gives the album a very high energy start. Demanding that the listener get off their feet to make the change that they want to see in their communities.

The lyrics compare singer Jason Butler to activists like Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, and icons like Mohammed Ali. All personas of color fighting for a change in their community, a change to the stigma attached to the color of their skin.

“INGLEWOOD/3”, another very powerful song in the album, is one of the songs filled with the most political messages.

It speaks strongly about the school to prison pipeline, gentrification and police brutality. The song’s first verse being, “Imagine being born in a hospital whose doors open up right into a cemetery/ How’s that for metaphor?”

“AM I HERE?” Is the most tender moment on the album, “Now I know what it’s like to miss things/ Now I know how to fall in love when I can’t love myself/ But you’re here and I’m still breathing.”

This song either being about Butler’s wife or daughter, it is the sweetest piece of love on this album.

It provides a tender break from all the heavy riffs and serious subjects on this album, only to close out with the song COUP D’TALK.

COUP D’TALK being a great closing song about triumph and success. It is uplifting and a great end to a high energy album. Its final lyrics being “It’s all power to all people.”

There really is no limit to what The Fever333 will speak on. They want people of all backgrounds to be able to relate to their music and life experiences. The Fever is here.

Julissa Villalobos
Julissa Villalobos, Staff Writer
Julissa Villalobos is a staff writer for Talon Marks. She is looking forward to transferring to Cal State Long Beach to continue her work with journalism and photography and turning those two passions into a career.