Counter protestors rally against white nationalism

David Jenkins

Carmelita Islas Mendez, News Editor

Long Beach residents held a peaceful anti-hate rally in response to a scheduled free-speech march. The free-speech march was organized by a Facebook group with links to right-wing “patriots” and white nationalists.

IMG_0011.jpg

A member of the Democratic Socialist of America in Long Beach holding a sign reading “No Rightwing in Long Beach.” In protest against of the “Freedom’s Safest Place” rally, the DSA of Long Beach were present along with other leftwing organizations. Photo credit: David Jenkins

The United Patriot National Front’s Facebook event was later canceled, with only a handful of people signing up to attend.

The anti-hate rally was held at Bluff Park in response to the free-speech march scheduled for April 28. The free-speech march “Freedom’s Safest Place” was organized by UPNF, which residents quickly discovered had ties to white nationalists and the far-right.

Sophia Cleverly a Long Beach resident said that the march was her first experience in protesting and that she was proud of herself and others for attending the event. She said, “It’s so amazing.”

IMG_0020.jpg

Many people within the Long Beach area and surrounding communities came together to protest the “Freedom’s Safest Place” rally, which had ties to white nationalist. Those present had signs that read “Character not Color” and “Queers against Fascist” and many others. Photo credit: David Jenkins

Around 200 LA county residents were present with local Antifa and Democratic Socialists of America chapters also attending at the rally displaying signs calling for an end to white supremacy. The event was peaceful with a heavy police presence.

Cleverly believes the UPNF chose Long Beach to “get a reaction and come here to try to antagonize and say ‘we’re here no matter what,’ and to see them not come here after such a negative response shows their true nature.”

Weeks before the UPNF’s event, Long Beach local businesses posted fliers warning the community of the presence of white nationalists and calling residents to “[not] let them bring hate to Long Beach unopposed.”

Pasadena resident Ian Jameson said that the reason white nationalists and right-wing sympathizers did not show up was that they’d be outnumbered and said protestors would have “kicked their asses.”

Jameson said, “We will keep coming out here and showing these fascists that they don’t run this fucking country, we do. We’re taking this country back.

‘By ‘we’ I don’t mean corporate democrats. I’m not talking about Nancy ‘fucking’ Pelosi, I’m not talking about Joe ‘voted for the Iraq war fucking’ Biden. I’m talking about money out of politics, pro-immigrates, anti-mass incarceration, actually anti-war [and] money-out-of-politics progressives.

1 Comment

One Response to “Counter protestors rally against white nationalism”

1. Oceana Christopher on May 3rd, 2019 5:04 pm

Love the quotes! Happy to see people standing up against fascism and the corporatocracy.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Counter protestors rally against white nationalism

Community

Dance student achieves the American Dream

Community

Long Beach police chase takes life of local dog walker

Community

Pansa Llena: Don Francisco’s is CUBAlicious

• Community

Bezos is in over his head

Community

Celebrating Earth Day in the shadow of the Port of LA

Community

Vegan Mexican food is not as CORNfusing as you may think

Community

And you thought our oceans were bad…

Community

Taking the art of pie-making to new heights of flavor and fun

Community

Students ‘end the silence’ on sexual violence

• Community

Pokémon Go brought to life on campus by visiting UCLA Professor Erkki Huhtamo