Ninety show to try out for Wrestling team

Sports+Button
Pete Moye’
Sports Button

Pete Moye’
Sports Button

A full roster of 90 men trying out for the Cerritos College wrestling team prepare for the start of the season in September, with about half making it to the official team.

After making it to the state championships last season and losing to Fresno City College, individual Cerritos College championship winner, Jose Lopez transferred to Dickinson State University.

However, losing one of the biggest assets to the team isn’t going to be a setback. With Don Garriott leading the team, he has faith that this year’s team will be just as good as last year’s, if not better.

“You can’t make up for a two-title state champion,” Garriott says, “You just gotta get someone to fill in the gaps and get someone who can score some points. We just got to get some help from some of the other weight classes.”

Garriott, a former wrestler himself, sees potential in some of the wrestlers trying out that he did in Lopez.

“We have Alfonso Estrada. The first year he wrestled for us, he was ranked second in state all year so I think he’ll be right there to be a finalist. Niko Crouch was second in high school state and he should be one of the top 197 pounders. Jake Harrison, our 125 pounder, should be one of the top guys so there’s a lot of potential.”

Alfonso Estrada, who wrestled at Perris High School in Riverside County, California, has been wrestling for eight years. He is in the 165 weight class with a goal to win state championships and do well in school.

In regards to personal training outside of practice, Estrada says,” I wake up in the morning around 7:00, go for a two mile run, and I go lift weights for about 30 minutes, and then later on I come to practice at 4:00.” He is dedicated to his team and says that wrestling for Cerritos College is his only college experience but he says, “I feel really great wrestling at Cerritos College.”

Crouch, who has been wrestling since 2001, was ranked second in the state for high school wrestling while attending Santa Fe High School. His goal is to win state championships as well as get picked up by a four-year university.

When it comes to juggling school and wrestling, he said. “it’s always tough wrestling. It’s a commitment, but as long as I study when I get home, no matter how tired I am, I should be fine. It’s always a challenge.”

The team will officially start the season on Sept. 17 at Mt. San Antonio College for a dual match.

The team will also conclude the month in a tournament at West Hills College on Sept. 24.

Lauren Gandara
Lauren Gandara, Editor in Chief
Hello, my name is Lauren Gandara and this is my fifth semester providing content for Talon Marks. After being a section editor for three years in a row since Fall 2011, I decided to take a semester off and did some freelance work. Coming back from taking a semester off, this is my final year as a member of the newspaper before I graduate as a journalism major. After leaving Cerritos College, my goal is to attend the University of Southern California and study telecommunications with a minor in fashion. After obtaining my Bachelor's, my goal is to become an on-camera reporter for E! News.